Forums Latest Members
  1. elchdesjahres Nov 7, 2013

Hello,

my name is Michael and i want to ask you about some details of this Watch. So sorry that english is not my first language.

The Watch is from my passed away grandfather and all i know is that it should be around 50 years old.

Maybe someone can help to identify the model. Currently im thinking about to send the watch to omega bienne for a complete restoration.

Michael

DSC_2438_DxO.jpg DSC_2432_DxO.jpg DSC_2428_DxO.jpg
  2. John R Smith Nov 7, 2013

It's a late '40s or early '50s solid 18k gold Swiss case automatic, could be case ref 2445 like mine (it has the same lugs). The crown is incorrect. We really need to see the inside of the press-in back to ID it properly, I expect the movement will be a cal 351. It will probably be better to find an independent watchmaker to do the restoration, rather than sending it to Omega.

elchdesjahres likes this.
  3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 7, 2013

Last thing you want to do is send it to Omega. They likely will destroy the watch as you know it. All it needs is a movement service and a sympathetic cleaning up. Omega might refinish the dial and over polish the case, both of which negatively affect the value. I would be fine to replace the crown, which is well worn out.

If there is anything you do not understand, we have members that sprechen Deutschen. They will be happy to help :thumbsup:

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 8, 2013

I'd also replace the bracelet with a quality aftermarket strap, that thing's had it too and if it lets go, the watch could hit the floor.

5. elchdesjahres Nov 8, 2013

Thanks so far for the replys. Do you really think that a restoration of an independent watchmaker is the better way rather than sending it to omega swiss? The vintage restorations of omega (especially in bienne) has a wonderful reputation in germany. I def. will replace the crown and the bracelet (which is really crappy) and do light refreshment on the case. I also will keep the dial.

Just wondering to which omega line this watch belongs. Maybe Tresor? But as far as i know the tresor line was build for the south american market and was not so solid built up as the swiss cases.

What do you think of the value of the watch in perspective to the condition? Dont get me wrong - the watch has a very high personal value to me and i dont wanna sell it.

6. ulackfocus Nov 8, 2013

Yes. Omega puts whatever parts that fit on the watch regardless of being correct. I've seen hands that are too long on pie pans, which really looks stupid.

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 8, 2013

I think the real answer to this question depends on the watch. Omega does not have every vintage part for every vintage watch they ever made, so they will "make do" as necessary. For the prices that they charge for this service (which start at close to US$1,000 as go way up from there), that attitude is totally unacceptable for most collectors. At that level, I would expect an "as new" restoration which would include NOS parts and new vintage dials that are correct to the era, rather then modern redials that look nothing like the original.

That being said, for certain models like later Speedmasters and Flightmasters, I've seen some wonderful work come from Bienne. The difference is that Omega has most, if not all of the original parts for these models (including NOS dials, cases and hands) and has made the investment to have other parts remanufactured to original specifications. Also, these watches are more valuable to begin with, so $1,000+ spent on the restoration doesn't seem ridiculous when one takes into account the value added by a factory correct restoration.

BTW, most of the manual wind watches from the 1950's were not part of a specific model line, even if 18K gold.

gatorcpa

8. John R Smith Nov 8, 2013

It's probably not one of the Tresor series. They tend to have lugs which are more faceted, like this 1952 example -

1952 Tresor.jpg

Your watch does not need a great deal of so-called "restoration". It needs a decent strap, a movement service (clean, lubricate and regulate), and a new genuine Omega crown. That's it, pretty much, any decent watchmaker can do that. The value, after this is done, should be around £1,500 to £1,700 GBP, in UK prices.

SpikiSpikester likes this.