Forums Latest Members

Help to identify Seamaster Cosmic and some further info

1. cyclone04 Jul 18, 2017

Hi Guys,

First off I've been a passive reader for almost a year now after i bought my first Omega, a brand new Seamaster PO 8500. This has been a great blog to gain knowledge and info from. That being said I shall now proceed to ask a really noob question about another piece i just bought which i have spent the last week or so trying to get more info on from various blogs and sites but haven't got much. Appreciate if someone can share more info or point me in the right direction.

I've bought a vintage Omega Seamaster Cosmic as per below pictures. The details i have, is that it's a 166.026 with a caliber 565 movement. 35mm case diameter gold plated with original bracelet. I bought it from a reputable second hand swiss watch dealer with 1 year warranty and he has guaranteed all parts inside are genuine. All that being said, I am really curious as to the history of this model (what year it was made, when was it discontinued, was it sold worldwide etc). I can barely find any info about it even in Omega's website or other blogs so was hoping you guys could shed some light. The Cosmic seems to be one of those crappy forgotten lines except for the earlier Cosmic moonphase.

The watch seems to work fine and the dealer has just serviced it although i may be tempted to send it in to Omega for a one off service and to confirm all is as it seems internally. Just to have a second opinion and also get the serial number.

Oh and I also bought this watch because I liked how it looked not because of re-sale value or anything. The dial really caught my attention somehow. You can't tell from the picture but the dial has small shinny dots on it...kinda like stars i guess. Will try to take a better picture later.

Thanks a lot for any info or tit bits you guys can throw my way about this Cosmic.

image1.JPG image2.JPG

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 19, 2017

cyclone04 and Foo2rama like this.
  3. chipsotoole Jul 19, 2017

My first was a Cosmic from the same era with the same bracelet too..not a lot of info about them and they are still extremely cheap in comparison to other base models of the 60's. Cosmic 2000's appeared around 1969-1970 ..but somehow I think it isn't quite as pretty. Those 70's watch features are either hit or miss. The unibody case design is cool....I think it's a bit space program. .apart form the fact you need tool 105 or 107 to get into them they are brilliant. I unfortunately had to replace the original 565 in its entirety....What a great movement though!

cyclone04 and JimInOz like this.
  4. billythekid Jul 19, 2017

its a good looker

cyclone04 likes this.
  5. cyclone04 Jul 19, 2017

6. cyclone04 Jul 19, 2017

The movement seems to work ok and at first i thought it was running slow as i saw it "drop" around 5-10 minutes when i left it on my table for 24 hours. However i've now learnt that for the vintage pieces i need to wind it up fully until some slight tension and then continuously wear it for some time to tell if there's any problem with the movement. So I'll do that and update back.

I've also ordered a nice dark brown crocodile leather strap with gold buckle from The Watch Prince so i do think it will look much nicer with that instead of the slighty tacky (IMHO) bracelet it has now.

7. cyclone04 Jul 19, 2017