Forums Latest Members
  1. Aesculapius Feb 25, 2014

Hello, All!

I'm new to vintage Omega watches but not to watches in general. I have recently inherited a gold-cased Seamaster auto from my late father-in-law. I have had real difficulty finding a match on any reference sites (including Omega's own vintage database). Although it's marked as a Seamaster, it seems to have more in common with mid-50s Constellations. I know the provenance as my FiL owned this watch from about (or just before) 1960 but after over fifty years there is now no case and no papers. The case is approx. 35mm and the movement is a 354 "bumper" automatic and keeps reasonably good time although I'm sure a service wouldn't be a bad idea. The face and batons look immaculate although there's a little patina on the hands. It has most recently been on an "Excalibur" expandable bracelet in rolled gold but I took it off to photograph the watch and, to be honest, it's not a look that works for me and I'd much rather see it back on an understated leather strap and let the watch stand out!

There is a family story from my mother-in-law that this watch suffered somewhat during a service at a jewellers many years ago (no idea when): they had always thought that the case was gold rather than plated and it seems likely the watch was relieved of some of its original features during this service, although they could never prove it so found it difficult to address the issue at the time -- certainly the current crown and case back are not original.

I appreciate that this is currently something of a Frankenwatch but it seems to have enough original features to attempt to restore it as much as possible. Given the family connection (and, specifically, that it came to me because my MiL knows of my interest in watches and wanted to keep it in the family rather than seeing it sold), I have NO interest in selling it. I may not get it "perfect" but I would definitely like to see it back on an appropriate black leather Omega strap with a period appropriate Omega branded buckle and with the correct gold Omega crown (I guess a domed crown would be right for this style and period...?).

I'd appreciate any comments you may have regarding model reference and case number (2767? 2770?) as the blank case back has deprived me of this information and it would obviously help me pin-down the correct crown and buckle designs so I can start looking for replacements. If it were possible, it would be great to find a matching case back too but that might be more tricky. If the originals really were 18k gold then that might be out of my budget for a while and I might have to make to with appropriate gold-plated equivalents, at least for now. The crystal has quite a few minor scratches (nothing major) but a new one of those will help too.

Finally, I'd also appreciate any recommendations you may have for (1) watchmakers / service centres in or around London who could undertake a service / fit a replacement crown at a sensible price and (2) suppliers for the crown / buckle / strap once I finally discover exactly what I need.

Here are a few pictures: -- they won't win any photography prizes but they give a pretty good idea of the watch...!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only example I have managed to find online that appears to match this watch was on old eBay listing here:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OMEGA-18c...J-Cal-354-BUMPER-MOVEMENT-1953c-/151076915255Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Thanks in advance for your input!

jcarel likes this.
  2. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Feb 25, 2014

Unfortunately, most of the original parts of the watch are gone. The case back, dial and crown are not original. If I had to guess based on the shapes of the lugs I would think it is a US collection G6213.

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 25, 2014

The case looks like a US made gold filled G6232 made by the Wadsworth case company. They are a fairly common model. As you already know it has a 354 bumper in it.

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 25, 2014

This is what the case back should look like, though the crown on this picture is wrong:
    IMG_8187_zpsa292463d.jpg

5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 25, 2014

Here is one of mine, this one has the proper crown.
    _1010896.jpg

Hijak likes this.
  6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 25, 2014

It should be added to answer some of your questions, these were neither Seamasters or Constellations.

7. Aesculapius Feb 25, 2014

Interesting. Thanks, guys. I can't say I'm surprised to find it's all a bit mixed up. At least I was right about it needing a domed crown...!

When were these made? I'm guessing mid-50s...?

I wonder where it acquired the Seamaster dial (...and is that even a *real* Seamaster dial...?). Looking at the lugs, your US Collection model clearly has drilled lugs whereas mine doesn't -- is this significant?

Just out of curiosity, what do you make of the watch in the eBay link? It appears almost identical to this one, which would seem a bit odd for a Frankenwatch.

Finally, any advice on how/where to source the correct crown? -- that's the one bit I can fix fairly easily!

8. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Feb 25, 2014

Look more closely at your watch and the one in the eBay listing, they are actually significantly different.

The eBay watch has a refinished dial as well.

9. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Feb 25, 2014

Both watches have refinished dials but the one on eBay is a Seamaster with a waterproof case, yours is not (but still has Seamaster on it ;) )

10. John R Smith Feb 26, 2014

I think the dial is more likely to be a service dial from the 1960s. Note that the hands are probably original and do not fit this dial.

11. Aesculapius Feb 26, 2014

Thanks, more useful information.

John -- that seems like a plausible explanation; thank you. The dial doesn't look in any way like it has been "refinished" but a complete replacement dial I can fully understand.

I was just curious as to whether anyone knew anything more about its origins, given that I haven't managed to find photographic evidence of this particular pattern of batons on any other Omega model -- except the one that was on eBay (!). If both watches are likely to have had dials replaced with a style that was at one point commercially available (whether as a genuine replacement part from Omega or a from a third party) then that would seem to make more sense.

As I mentioned at the outset, I already had very strong suspicions that this was a serious Frankenwatch so I'm not at all surprised to hear that it really is something of a Chimera! While I would like to make some changes, I don't want to make wholesale changes as this little project is more about something that has sentimental value rather than any massive commercial value. If it was a simple project watch I'd ether flip it band start again or look to see just how much I could manage to achieve in restoring original features. As it is, however, the current dial is how my wife's family have always known this watch over the last fifty years or more (presumably replaced before the watch was bought by my FiL) so, for that reason alone, I will keep it looking as it does, although I will invest in an appropriate new strap/buckle and an appropriate new crown -- and a service!

Any thoughts on where to get it serviced in the UK or where to source the replacement parts?