Forums Latest Members

Help to ID Model and age of Vintage 18ct Ladies Omega

1. GinnyaLuck Feb 26, 2017

Hello All.
    I have just come across your site and was hoping someone could please help me?
    I was given this beautiful 18ct Ladies Omega watch in 1991 by my great Aunt.
    I have now decided it is time to sell it.
    It sits in a box, in a drawer, unseen, becuase basically I am just too scared to wear it!
    It's an absolutely beautiful watch and I want it to go to a loving home where someone will love it, wear it and get pride out of it, I dont want it stuck in a drawer unseen anymore.
    The problem is, I know nothing about it?
    I would really like to know the model and approx age please, if anyone can help?
    My Aunt lived in Hong Kong, so I dont know if thats where she got it?
    Also where is the best place to sell it please?
    An auction house, jewellers, online watch seller or Ebay do you think?
    If anyone could help, I would be extremely grateful.
    Kind regards Ginny

P1020543.JPG P1040855.JPG P1040865.JPG
  2. Canuck Feb 26, 2017

Firstly, we really should see the back side of the case, and any markings that are on the buckle of the bracelet. And if possible, a picture of the inside of the case back, as well as the mechanism. If possible, better focused shots with less reflection so we can read any markings. The watch and bracelet might be karat gold. These are things that a potential buyer will need before they make an offer. And this information will also help you to decide whether to keep it or sell it. There is not a huge market for ladie's watches, karat gold or otherwise. You might want to check out eBay or some other on line auction to get an idea of the prices similar watches bring before you list it. You might just decide to keep it.

Deafboy likes this.
  3. StrutlessWonder Feb 26, 2017

It is also possible this watch was custom-made (unique case and bracelet) by a Hong Kong jeweler. While these small omega ladies watches were popular in the 1950s, they are not terribly popular nor valuable now--often worth (literally) only their weight in gold for smelting value, especially with that 18kt bracelet. It may be worth more to you for sentimental reasons.

It likely has a 212/213 or 400 series 17 jewel calibre inside, which we could see if you took it to a competent jeweler or watch repair service (not a watch battery changer at the mall) to have the case opened so we could see the movement serial number to be better able to date the watch. It is also possible that the inside of the case back would have a case model number, which would greatly help you better identify the watch.

Deafboy likes this.
  4. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Feb 26, 2017

I can't offer more insight than what was mentioned above on the watch but the bracelet is really funky. It looks like Brutalist inspired and my guess would place it in the 1960's.

5. GinnyaLuck Feb 26, 2017

There is a marking on the buckle of the bracelet - HM/4058 (I think it's very small & hard to read) not sure if that means anything? I darent try & take the back off myself, I dont want to damage it. I'd only let a professional watch person do that

6. Aussie280SE Mar 17, 2018

I've got a 213 Caliber in front of me now & the faces look identical.
    They were used in mid-1950's ladies (usually gold) watches with incredibly small dials!!