Forums Latest Members

HELP!!! Speedmaster moon watch (chocolate) or Seamaster Chronograph Chronometer (black)

1. Rahul Aug 20, 2016

Hi! I own a Speedmaster moon watch (chocolate) and a Seamaster Chronograph Chronometer (black) , I want to sell one of them as I want to invest in a Panerai. Which one should I retain? Personally I fell in should sell Seamaster. Please help me. Thanks!

2. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 20, 2016

Without photos I cannot tell you for sure.

What I can tell you for sure, is there is no such thing as an "Investment Panerai" in my understanding.

I make no criticism of you wanting a Panerai, but I do question your justification.

You are not alone in the Self-Justification stakes here you know....

Anyway, would love to see the two watches in a photo

And welcome the forum. Brace yourself for a bit of teasing from some members who like that sort of thing.

Baz9614, WatchVaultNYC and Rahul like this.
  3. Rahul Aug 20, 2016

4. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 20, 2016

IMO and don't get offended, sell the seamster because it's ugly . Keep the speedy because it's beautiful.

5. EatMan Aug 20, 2016

Keep the classic-- speedy. I would pick seamaster chrono over panerai but whatever floats your boat.

Rahul likes this.
  6. SpeedTar Aug 20, 2016

keep the Speedy, the seamaster due to its unusual style you will probably get bored by it!! Moreover, a diver chronograph sounds to me like a non sense :)

Rahul likes this.
  7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 20, 2016

For sure....really? Might want to check that one mate...

nima0071, Rahul and Fritz like this.
  8. Huus Aug 20, 2016

I believe you should keep the Speedmaster, it is by far the best looking watch of the two. A diver chrono doesn't rime to me, so sell the Seamaster.

Rahul likes this.
  9. tyrantlizardrex Aug 20, 2016

Long term, I'd be inclined to keep the Speedmaster, that particular Seamaster Chrono isn't to my taste... and isn't holding its value against its non chrono brethren.

Which Paneria are you looking at?

Rahul likes this.
  10. Rahul Aug 20, 2016

Hi! Thanks for your suggestion. Even i find the moon watch much more classy . I am looking at entry level Panerai and I want a manual winding watch as I don't use the watch for more than 5 hours during the day . Most of the time I have to wind my automatic watches before i separate them to make sure they go on till the next day. I was looking at PAM 0005 or PAM 0660 or PAM 00631. Please give me your suggestion on Panerai as well. Thanks!

11. Rahul Aug 20, 2016

Thanks for your opinion . Will keep the Speedmaster. It looks and feels more classy.

Nobel Prize likes this.
  12. Rahul Aug 20, 2016

Thanks for your suggestion. Why Seamaster over a Panerai? I thought Panerai
    was equally great brand.

13. Rahul Aug 20, 2016

I thought Panerai was equally great brand.

14. WatchVaultNYC Aug 21, 2016

The choco sappphire sandwich is probably the one to keep

Rahul likes this.
  15. toucanF16 Aug 21, 2016

You guys have it all wrong. Rahul should definitely keep the Seamaster.

16. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 21, 2016

Mmm. I did have a think - and I think strictly speaking you have a point. Here is my thinking:

I did say "to my mind" Panerai is not an investment brand, because although early watches for the military are highly sought after by collectors, the brand has become another in a long line of resurrected names by a Brand Behemoth. The modern watches while serviceable and handsome, are fashion items. Expensive fashion items, but fashion none the less.

For a watch to be investment (to me I stress!) there needs to be a wide appeal - as well as accessibility to watches and buyers. You have to be able to sell it easily and relatively quickly. There are very few collectors of vintage Panerais out there, and very few watches, so I don't think they can be treated as investments as the market is so rare. You don't wake up as a inexperienced watch buyer and go and buy a Panerai to be sure of having your child's school fees. In contrast a Daytona has a good chance of doing just that. (Vintage, obviously).

Of course anything could be considered an investment if there is a possibility of selling above cost, but my glib remark was primarily because in Asia I see all the rich young bucks sporting Richmont Panerais. If you walk around the second hand markets of Hong Kong or Bangkok there are more second hand or new discounted Panerais than any other brand.

The "Wrist borne Diving Instruments" manufactured in Florence and supplied to the Italian military are indeed a different kettle of fish. Like MG sports cars, these original watches are to the modern ones, as the MG's made today are to those wonderful cheap two seater ragtops of the 1960's.

I do accept therefore that there are Panerais that someone could successfully invest in.

Bell and Ross anyone?
    ::stirthepot::

Thanks Al, you made me think.

Also I do like the idea of that Bronze version....

tyrantlizardrex and Foo2rama like this.
  17. toucanF16 Aug 21, 2016

Oh, and BTW, he should sell the Speedy to me!

Rahul and Spacefruit like this.
  18. stigmata Aug 21, 2016

All personal...

19. Rahul Aug 21, 2016

20. Rahul Aug 21, 2016

:)