Forums Latest Members

Help.... should one slow down

1. Kobus May 16, 2016

OK, this is most likely not the place to look for help or advice.

For a long time I have owned a Tag and Breitling. Was not too much into watches but still enjoyed the quality that comes with these brands. These two watches in particular were never amazing but they were bought at a random auction for a very good price. The Tag recently was given to my son as a present and the Breitling got a leather strap to improve its looks.

But before that I also acquired a Seamaster (quartz) at an auction and that is where the problem started. I was in love. It was so different to any watch I have ever worn. Felt special, you know exactly what I mean. I then started reading about watches. I ended up here.

So towards the end of last year I got my Moonwatch…………. Surprize (not).
    But then, quite inexplicably I decided to get myself a Submariner for my birthday in January. Scary. I love both those. But I felt that something was missing. At this point I should have abandoned this forum I think.

I now find myself in the position of wanting the new Explorer I or AT (not relevant which one for this discussion). All of this in a period of 6 months.

So what am I asking?......
    I like this hobby (obsession), but surely one must step back and say, take it slowly. Spoil yourself once a year etc.
    Any advice…….

Ps: I am not super rich.

2. timjohn May 16, 2016

hahahahahaha. Good luck with that.

My best advice is to put your head between your legs and kiss your wallet goodbye.

I was at a bit of a loose end last night -- I spend far too much time in hotels -- and ended up buying a Smiths W10 on eBay. I suppose it could have been worse: at least I wasn't approved to bid at the Phillips auction....

Nitzbar, Vitezi, Traveler and 2 others like this.
  3. Steve9pm Strangely obsessed with cheap manual wind watches. May 16, 2016

Set aside an acceptable amount of $ each week/month for your watch fund?

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 16, 2016

I know @ulackfocus will have this in he's head all night

Vitezi and micampe like this.
  5. lillatroll May 16, 2016

If you think of them as investments rather than expenses then it is easier to justify the purchases. Its something to tell the wife anyway:whistling:

Nitzbar likes this.
  6. Andreas May 16, 2016

Try to set a limit on the number of watches in your collection and then continue by trading. if a new watch will come an other one must go.

Buckeyes#1 likes this.
  7. VanDamme NOT "The Muscles from Brussels" May 16, 2016

Can't remember where I found this, either Google or here on OF but its on my work background rotation...

image.jpeg

jimdgreat1 and Nitzbar like this.
  8. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 16, 2016

NO, one should not slow down. And as for not being rich, if the U.S. Government can carry a debt load of $19 trillion (and counting), surely you can safely run up a $40-50k credit card balance! :rolleyes:

Nitzbar and VanDamme like this.
  9. Nitzbar Will sell any watch tougher than him. May 17, 2016

If you are seriously considering selling a body part/organ to buy watches you might want to slow down.
    If you started making meth in a RV in the desert to buy watches you might want to slow down.
    If you are hooking on Hollywood Blvd to buy watches, you might want to slow down.

If you answered no to the above, you are good. Keep on buying.

10. VanDamme NOT "The Muscles from Brussels" May 17, 2016

This just popped up on my background :D. It might also be off of OF somewhere, sometime:
    image.jpg