Forums Latest Members
  1. Chin Feng Jul 2, 2018

Hello all. Am very new to vintage Omegas, everything I kinda know so far is really just based on reading forums etc. Any help is appreciated :)

I've been trying to get my hands on a vintage Omega Seamaster and was just offered this particular piece by a local seller.

He is asking for approximately $770USD.
    According to him, watch is from 1954. Recently serviced and everything is original.

Below are information seller provided:
    Original and Authentic Sunburst Tritium Dial
    Original Indexes, Crown & Hands
    T SWISS MADE T Dial
    Omega Bumper 354 automatic
    Reference: 2767-6SC
    Unpolished Case

Base on my very limited knowledge that I've gathered so far, I came to a few conclusions on my own but will appreciate if someone experienced may help me out here.
    - Watch seems original & authentic
    - Wordings on dial seems original, with the right logo, "A"s & "O"s.
    - Crown and case seems as described
    - Movement seems to be as described

If anyone thinks otherwise, please do help to point out :)

Here are some of my concerns though.
    - "T SWISS MADE T" dial seems to be only available after 1960s, which means this piece from 1954 should not have such printing on its dial. Is there a possibility of this? Maybe it's a service dial, is that possible? Or was this dial completely re-done/refinished?
    - I tried searching for this particular Reference number but can't seem to find this dial on any images.

I guess my main concern here is just how original is this particular piece and even if it's possibily a Frankenwatch, should I pick it up for $770USD given that it was recently serviced?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!

IMG_4207.PNG IMG_4208.PNG IMG_4209.PNG IMG_4211.PNG IMG_4212.PNG IMG_4213.PNG IMG_4214.PNG

2. ulackfocus Jul 2, 2018

No.

felsby likes this.
  3. Chin Feng Jul 2, 2018

Hey! Thanks for the response. Mind sharing your thoughts? :)

4. BenBagbag Jul 2, 2018

It's a redial. A no-no for collectors.

Also @ulackfocus doesn't wear watches every day anymore. :p

5. Chin Feng Jul 2, 2018

Thanks man!

6. seekingseaquest Jul 2, 2018

Crown is not original, seems over polished

7. Chin Feng Jul 2, 2018

Thanks buddy! Appreciate it :)

8. rkman11 Jul 2, 2018

Basically nothing the seller is claiming is true, so likely not serviced either. Definite pass - and you should let him know why.

9. Chin Feng Jul 2, 2018

Thanks man. I'll do that :)

10. No Mercy Jul 2, 2018

Redialed, overpolished, wrong crown - a BIG no

11. jimmyd13 Jul 2, 2018

@Chin Feng ... let's take this example of yours as a little teaching aid.

First you think "wow, what great condition". That should set all the alarm bells ringing immediately. When you see something this "good", look at the parts you wouldn't normally see. Look at the scratches all over the movement. Why is a movement scratched to hell when the dial is so pristine? Look at the marks on the sides of the lugs and case: these are deep scratches that have been polished out, at least in part. What's happened to the bevels on the lugs? You can do this sort of checking without any knowledge of the reference itself. This is all common sense. Also, always check the outside of the caseback. Look for signs of scratches that have been polished again.

Now, to details. First giveaway (to me at least) is the centering of the "omega" and any text below it. It amazes me how such a simple detail is often wrong when a dial has been repainted. Dead giveaway. Next is the minute track. You need to be familiar with a reference to know if the track is in the correct position (this looks wrong to me but I don't know without looking it up). What's easy to spot is the length and thickness of each dash. Everything should be consistent unless it is worn. Differing lengths and thickness are another simple giveaway. Next, the font: an easy spot is if you have the correct "S" in Seamaster (you don't) but the coathanger and rounded S were used on different references so you need to check. The stone cold giveaway here are the T Swiss T. If it's a 1954 the dial would be radium. There was no requirement to mark tritium dials until 1964 and few were. Again, check the reference but that's a huge red flag that you don't need a loupe to spot.

There's actually more wrong with this watch than I've listed here but you should have walked away from it before you even got part way through the points I've made.

Keep looking and keep learning. There are lots of beautiful vintage pieces still out there waiting for a loving home.

12. Vitezi Jul 2, 2018

Hi @Chin Feng and welcome to OF. If you're new to collecting vintage watches and you think it might be a fun hobby to pursue, we recommend that you first commit to reading all of the information available (for free) on this forum before you part with your cold, hard cash on a crappy watch.

So pull up a comfy chair, grab some of your favorite beverage, and absorb a few threads to get you started:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/for-the-new-members-read.23288/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/condition-condition-condition-and-other-pieces-of-advice.1716/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/learn-how-to-fish.52603/

Then continue with this thread, to see what collectors wear: https://omegaforums.net/threads/wruw-today.567/
    and, if vintage Omega is your interest, search for threads on this forum: https://omegaforums.net/forums/vintage-omega-watches-help-discussion-and-advice.23/

By this time you finish your eyes will be bleary and you may be pickled (depending on your choice of beverage :whistling:) but you'll have a good understanding of what to look for in a vintage watch. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions. Have fun!

disco_nug, connieseamaster and STANDY like this.
  13. Chin Feng Jul 3, 2018

Thanks for your input man. I've passed on it :) Probably will stick to something offered by Omega Enthusiast for newbie-free pieces. Haha..

14. Chin Feng Jul 3, 2018

Thank you for such an informative reply, really appreciate it. I will take note of those obvious giveaways you mentioned and look for them at my next purchase option. I clearly need a lot more exposure to more watches to spot them. Anyway, I've told the seller that I'll pass on it and it has since been marked as Sold to another poor soul who probably has no idea.

I'll definitely continue looking around for a piece that is worth buying. Thankful for such great people and advices I'm getting here :)

15. Chin Feng Jul 3, 2018

Wow. Thanks man! I'm really very new to vintage watches and I believe it's going to be really fun and expensive hobby for me :X

I'll read up those threads you've pointed out with probably some ice cold Latte, really appreciate your efforts :)