Forums Latest Members
  1. mrsbee May 20, 2015

Hello,

Firstly, apologies if this isn't the correct place for this. I've had a nosey around and I've ended up with more questions than I started with, I think. I'd like to buy my husband a vintage Omega [1950s/1960s?] for our first wedding anniversary. He's wanted one for years, and I've managed to save up just in time for our anniversary, but I'm clueless.

I am aware that these types of items are commonly counterfeited and I don't want to part with my hard-earned cash for a fake [obviously]. So where should I look, please? His preference is for one with a black face, it has to be a Seamaster, I think he'd like the one with the cross on the face, he doesn't like the tapered hands... I think he'd go gold or silver, if I can find the right watch, I don't think he likes the date window...

I'm not keen on eBay because I don't really trust it. Are there any bricks and mortar shops that sell these things that you guys have tried/tested? I'm in the South of England.

ANY advice or help is very much appreciated, thank you.

MrsBee.

2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 20, 2015

Welcome MrsBee.

Your husband has the Mad Men disease! That design is exactly what was on mad men, and so has been ripped off and copied extensively. Black dial, cross hair seasmasters are very uncommon. Since mad men, lots of people have taken non-black seasmasters and repainted them black. What we call a "redial". All of the parts are omega, but the dial doesn't have the original design. These reprinting jobs are NOT done by omega and vary in quality from a blindfolded toddler to a drunken senior citizen and everything in between.

Have a look at the Private Watch Sales forum here, for some examples of good, honest, fair prices watches.

What is your budget?

NT931 and mrsbee like this.
  3. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident May 20, 2015

Hi Mrs. Bee.

There are shops but you will pay a lot more than you would for a private sale and not necessarily guarantee authenticity.

A very good place to view is the "Private Sales" section of this forum. You would need to reply by private message.

Unfortunately, your specification of black dial and cross hair is, more often than not, re-finished. If it is intended as a collector's watch then a re-finished dial is a big no-no. If it is just for your husband to like and wear, then that is a different matter. You can pretty much trust watches in the "Private Sales" section as imperfections will be discussed and any wrongdoings would be punished by vilification in this community.

mrsbee likes this.
  4. mrsbee May 20, 2015

Oh what a shame; we've never even seen Mad Men! He's wanted one for years, I should have got one sooner! Damn it.

I will take a look at the for sales, thank you. I'd rather not spend more than £1,000, but could stretch at bit. Do you think that's reasonable?

Thank you very much for the swift reply.

L.

5. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident May 20, 2015

That's more than a reasonable budget. Time might be your only enemy.

Taddyangle and mrsbee like this.
  6. mrsbee May 20, 2015

Thank you for another speedy reply. I will check out the private sales. I'll let him know that that particular combination is unlikely. Not intended as a collectors watch, he wants to wear and use. He finds more modern watches quite clunky & struggles to fit them under his shirts with cufflinks - the Omegas look quite slimline? We could be wrong though.

Thanks again for your help.

7. mrsbee May 20, 2015

I've seen a couple of photos of Seamasters with blue faces floating around the Internet - would any of these be original or did they not come in this colour? They are lovely.

8. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident May 20, 2015

The only thing to bear in mind is that most used watches will need a service to ensure their reliability. For the average, three hand watch, this will be around £150 to £200 from an independent watchmaker as long as no parts are needed, other than a mainspring.

mrsbee likes this.
  9. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 20, 2015

Have a look at @X350 XJR has sold. He has had a few that would meet your needs , bar the black face. To tease, here are a few of my slim seamaster type watches from that period. All under $1k USD
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

mrsbee likes this.
  10. mrsbee May 20, 2015

Thanks Stewart, I will factor this in when looking.

11. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 20, 2015

Vintage blue? Prob not original. Feel free to post photos here

mrsbee likes this.
  12. mrsbee May 20, 2015

13. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 20, 2015

No, they are just the photos I have easily on Hand and meet your budget/requirements. Lots more where they came from.....

14. mrsbee May 20, 2015

Something like this would be nice...?

I think I've added that correctly.

WatchOmega.jpg
  15. mrsbee May 20, 2015

16. Davidt May 20, 2015

That's a UK seller that sells refinished dials almost exclusively.

They're redials are quite poor and the watches very overpriced.

Take the old chap out for a good feed and tell him you're in the process of getting him his gift but it's sonething that requires patience to acquire. If my girlfriend gave me an original 60's Omega three months after my birthday because she'd spent time and effort making sure she got it right, it would mean the world to me.

noelekal, Giff2577 and mrsbee like this.
  17. Davidt May 20, 2015

I might leave my last post open on the iPad as a hint.....

bencrouch25, repoman and mrsbee like this.
  18. mrsbee May 20, 2015

Thanks David. I've got until the end of July, but I think he'd happily wait longer than that if need be. Thanks for the heads up on that seller. I thought they looked a bit too pretty. Just good photography, maybe?

:)

19. mrsbee May 20, 2015

Haha, maybe you should!

20. Davidt May 20, 2015

I can say from experience that although he might just want a good daily wearer and not initially care if it's a redial. There's a very good chance that he'll get it, decide to research it, post a pic on a forum like this and be somewhat disappointed to find out it's not original.

Take your time, have a look on ebay etc and post examples here-people are happy to help.

I would agree though that the FS section here, may well be your best bet. Just keep checking every day or so.

Taddyangle and mrsbee like this.