Forums Latest Members

Help removing links on ladder bracelet for A3817

1. TylerRolex Jan 28, 2016

I am looking for some help on how to remove links on a ladder Gay Freres bracelet. I need to remove 2 links. Can anyone help me out?
    Cheers,
    Tyler

2. wsfarrell Jan 29, 2016

A picture or two might help.

3. TylerRolex Jan 29, 2016

4. wsfarrell Jan 29, 2016

Sorry, I don't see any obvious (1) screws, (2) pins, or (3) sliding covers in that bracelet that would allow you to remove links. You might have to take it to a jeweler.

5. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jan 29, 2016

There are two trains of thought on this:

1/ Ease open the centre links and re-fold them.
    2/ Make a tool to pull the links apart and then re-press them after removing the links.

6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 29, 2016

this

7. TylerRolex Jan 29, 2016

When you say "ease open the center links" does that mean to carefully pry them open with a small watchmakers screwdriver?

Thanks,
    Tyler

8. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 29, 2016

well, I use small pliers, but that's the idea

9. TylerRolex Jan 29, 2016

I started the process and it is working. I need to get the right tools tomorrow and I'll finish this weekend and post a few pics when done. Thanks to all that helped.

Tyler

10. avantnoire Jan 31, 2016

If I may chime in here..use a sharp knife to pry open the link, this way you will get even pressure against the whole link, a screwdriver will just give you pressure where the blade is..trust me, I made that mistake! I use an opinel knife FYI..

bardamu likes this.
  11. pitpro Likes the game. Jan 31, 2016

+1

12. avantnoire Jan 31, 2016

13. avantnoire Jan 31, 2016

image.jpeg Then fold the bracelet on itself to reveal the slightly opened link
    Then carefully use the blade to apply pressure back and forth to slowly open the link image.jpeg
    And voila..
    image.jpeg

Eddy C., wsfarrell and ELV web like this.
  14. TylerRolex Jan 31, 2016

Amazing! Thank you very much.

What size knife did you use?

Any tips for closing the links back?

15. avantnoire Jan 31, 2016

My opinel knife has a blade that is 3/4" tall and about 4" long. That being said I also use a watchmakers knife sometimes which is smaller..strong steel and sharp..
    As to closing the links, I have a pair is adjustable locking pliers, retailed by 'snap on', an automotive tools supplier. They have smooth jaws which are 3/16 wide, perfect fit for the width of the link. Gentle pressure to close the link, and then I cover the link with a cloth and press across the link to get the correct profile..again something I've learned by trial and error..will take some pics to show this later on today
    Best
    David

Andsan, LouS, ELV web and 3 others like this.
  16. vinn2 Feb 1, 2016

smooth jaws are important, if you can not find them new; a good black smith can grind and polish them. jewlery jewers " like um flat" both locking and parallel pliers. - vinn

17. vinn2 Feb 1, 2016

TylerR; Welcome to the forum. i am happy to see all the good help with "bracelet repair and shortning"

18. spence-d Feb 13, 2016

This may be a silly question but the bracelets adjustable clasp looks like its on its longest setting in the picture.... did you try adjusting it?
    I have this same bracelet on mine & it has the same number of links as yours....I had to adjust it a few holes up for my relatively small wrist but even then I still have adjustment left in it..

barbecoa likes this.
  19. TylerRolex Feb 13, 2016

I could have done that but Then the bracelet really rubs against the links. It was actually really easy shortening with all the help from everyone.
    Tyler

20. spence-d Feb 14, 2016

Glad it turned out well for you, I love the look of these GF ladder bracelets but wish they had made them a bit more robust, i have a second zenith which I'm fitting with a shark mesh style braclet so i can wear it to work without having to worry about beating up the GF bracelet - cheers Spencer