Forums Latest Members
  1. PFitch Nov 5, 2012

[​IMG][​IMG]

Attached are two pictures (highest quality I can get unfortunately) of a watch I recently came into the possession of.

It was given as a wedding gift in 1960 and the strap has been replaced. The crown has a small omega symbol on it, and as far as I am aware it has not been replaced.

I am struggling to identify it using the Omega archives. I believe it may have been part of the "International Collection" of the time. My other guess was that it may have been a very old marriage/franken.

It is not in working order (my guess is that it has been over wound). I would like to get it fully restored and wanted to know whether it was worth sending to Omega for this.

Thanks for your help.

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 5, 2012

Unfortunately, your pictures aren't showing onu cellphone.

My recommendation would be to find a good local watchmaker to service your watch. It will be a lot cheaper and you will able to specify exactly what you want or don't want to be replaced.

Good luck,
    gatorcpa

3. Mothra Nov 5, 2012

yep, sorry - the picture links are broken - can you try again?

4. PFitch Nov 5, 2012

watch1.JPG watch2.JPG

5. PFitch Nov 5, 2012

Reposted pictures, apologies for low quality

6. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Nov 5, 2012

Looks like an Omega Constellation Case ref 14393 , dome dial , powered by a caliber 561 in 17 mil serial # (1959, 1960)

I can tell you more if you supply better pics (inside the caseback and the movement ,too)

7. PFitch Nov 5, 2012

Thanks hoipolloi

I am a bit scared of taking the caseback off, is it a difficult operation? How should I go about removing it?
    Cheers

8. ulackfocus Nov 5, 2012

Take it to a watchmaker, and push the flower button on your camera to put it in macro mode for focusing in close.

9. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Nov 5, 2012

I
    If you have not done that before, you'd better take it to a watchmaker. Bring a good camera and do what Gator told you. We need to see all the numbers inside the caseback, all the numbers on the mevement too.

Best

10. PFitch Nov 14, 2012

Found a decent watchmaker and did as recommended (pictures are attached). Looks like you were spot on

In case the numbers arent clear-
    Caseback: 14393-7-SC
    Movement: (Omega sign) 561

The watchmaker said initial observations were that there was some water damage, waiting for a full assessment by next week.
    The strap is not original & does not fit my wrist in any case, so I was looking to replace it. Can you guide me on what sort of strap it would have had originally and what sort of replacement I should go for.

Cheers for all the help

Optimized-DCAM0085.JPG Optimized-DCAM0084.JPG

11. pknopp Nov 14, 2012

I probably don't need to note but will, it's certainly worth repairing. I also would allow a local watchmaker with a good reputation have at it as opposed to sending it to Omega.

12. PFitch Nov 15, 2012

Yup given it to a local antiques & jewellery shop (I know the owned, he's quite straight) and they are sending it to a watchmaker they use for repairs. There used to be an old family watchmaker's in my area but it closed down recently, quite sad really.

I've been quoted anywhere between 40-120 but will be getting a full detail soon.

Cheers

13. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Nov 15, 2012

and do not touch the dial.

Best.

14. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 15, 2012

I'm sure he is quite straight. The issue here though is that he does not buff the case or do anything to the dial (as Hoi stated) Doing that could reduce the value by half. Jewelry and even many Antique dealers often do not understand that.

15. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Nov 15, 2012

Is that a crack in the bezel between 4 and 5 o'clock?

16. PFitch Jan 11, 2013

Finally got the watch back (shortage of watch makers it seems).

In answer to MSNWatch- yes that is a crack in the bezel. The watchmaker has rotated the bezel so the crack is now in line with 3.

Its working smoothly and I was charged a total of 175 for the repair. There was water damage I was told.

I bought a temporary strap but would like to get one that is close to what originally was provided on the watch. I have tried omega's back galleries and other websites but cant find the any pictures/information regarding this model. Can anyone help me or point me in the direction?

Cheers

17. Mothra Jan 11, 2013

So generally watches back then were sold on straps, with bracelets as dealer options. I personally think that lug shape looks really good on a strap.
    I can't necessarily help on the original strap/bracelet - I consider straps to be a consumable - but here's some threads with some options:

Old catalogues:

http://www.old-omegas.com/

Straps:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f222/strap-recommendations-1968-gold-omega-constellation-764507.html

BOR:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/19mm-constellation-797192.html

My understanding is that Hirsch make Omega's OEM straps, and a good UK source seems to be www.watchobsession.co.uk.

HTH. :)