Forums Latest Members
  1. omega147 Feb 3, 2016

Hi everyone,

I have inherited an Omega Geneve watch that belonged to my grandfather and since then I started to explore Omega watches with great affection and admiration.

I would like to get more information for this watch if possible (is it a redial, is the crown original, when it was manufactured...). When I was at watchmaker I learned that its movement is 552 and that its model number is 165.070. He told me also that there is no serial number printed on the movement, is that ok?

The closest match in Omega database I was able to find is this https://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-details/15364/ but I am not sure if that is a good match?

Please find some photos below, I hope that they are in good quality. Let me know if you have some additional questions.

Thanks in advance
    1.jpg 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG 7.JPG 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 3, 2016

Serial number is under the rotor in that picture you posted.

In this picture you can see the serial near the outer edge near the Omega symbol and 552 on the left hand side

[​IMG]

3. omega147 Feb 3, 2016

Thank you dsio! I even tried to move the rotor while I was taking the picture, but watchmaker warned me that I should not touch it as I might damage it

4. Canuck Feb 3, 2016

It is very unlikely that you would even need to touch the rotor in order to expose the serial number, and I strongly suggest there should be one there. With the case back off, all you would have to do is to rotate the watch until the S# comes into view. The rotor should turn as you do this. And don't confuse the balance wheel which is beneath the rotor in one of your pictures. THAT could be damaged if you touch it,

5. OSP Feb 3, 2016

Nice watch. Sorry I can't answer your questions re the dial or crown as I have a modern Omega. I am sure other members will comment soon.

6. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 4, 2016

7. omega147 Feb 4, 2016

I will try that next time I visit watchmaker since I do not have tools to open the case

8. omega147 Feb 4, 2016

Can someone throw few comments about the dial, crown and watch conditions in general? Also, is this watch rare? I did not see any occurrence of it nowhere, except for a few similar models with calendar or manual winding, but none like this one...

9. novina Feb 4, 2016

So, from the pictures and description from the archives, you have a nice watch there. Gold plated 20 microns. 24 jewel caliber 552. Could it have been purchased in Europe as anything over a certain jewel count was heavily taxed here. Markers appear to have Onyx inserts, nice touch. Can't tell if the case is over polished or if those are bevels in the lugs. Don't know enough about crowns yet. In any case, you have a beautiful watch. One that will need to be serviced if you plan to wear it. Rarity, no sure, but these pop up, search here for a thread about Onyx markers, sure you will see one.

10. omega147 Feb 4, 2016

Yes, I believe that grandfather bought it in Switzerland sometime back in 70s. The watch has been serviced at the local watchmaker few days before I got it and it runs correctly now. What is general advice regarding maintenance? If I got it right, polishment of the glass or the case is not recommended at all? I am asking because the glass and the case have few scratches, should I just leave them like that?

And what do you mean by: "...or if those are bevels in the lugs", I am not good with terminology yet and I wasn't able to find a good explanation

11. novina Feb 4, 2016

When looking at your pictures, I do not see a sharp edge to the lugs. There is, in some of the pictures, what appears to be a shadow at the edge of them. This could be a bevel (facet might help) if it is sharply cut into the lugs, or if very rounded, evidence of over polishing. Hope this helps.