Forums Latest Members
  1. Fran Fisher Jan 2, 2016

Recently inherited this watch and unable to trace similar on net. Has unusual red jewel in centre of second hand. Would really appreciate any help, as it is to go to a young person and may need insurance. Should we get it valued? Thanks a lot.

P_20160102_234129.jpg P_20160102_234046.jpg P_20160102_234136.jpg
  2. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Jan 2, 2016

I've not seen that second hand on a geneve dynamic before, but I may not have seen em all. What I really mean by that is that this is almost certainly not original to the watch and has been added as a later replacement, which will negatively affect the value.

Type "geneve dynamic" into google images and you'll see lots with the same dial design but not with that second hand. Put the same into eBay and search for completed listings to get the current market value. In that condition probably about £300-500 max I'd guess.
    I have the all-blue dial, no-date version.

Edited Jan 2, 2016
  3. Fran Fisher Jan 2, 2016

Many thanks for suggestions. I had been googling images for days before finding this site. Also checked eBay and thought the same as you on value. Just concerned that the jewel may indicate a fake! Thanks again.

4. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Jan 2, 2016

The forum member I bought mine from is an expert on these things so I'll tag him just in case: @SpikiSpikester

STANDY likes this.
  5. Fran Fisher Jan 2, 2016

That's great. Thanks again. It's after 1 am here, so will check in tomorrow. Cheers!

Edited Jan 2, 2016
  6. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 3, 2016

I've never seen that hand on a Dynamic & the condition of the watch and bracelet isn't good. The second hand is from somewhere else, probably from a make do and mend repair. Due to the poor condition of the dial the watch isn't worth a lot - probably £200-300.

That said, the movement used in this version is strong & if it is properly serviced could give many more years of use. Assuming the movement hasn't been abused and ruined in the past, that is.

You could make this into a decent watch to wear by replacing the crystal & bracelet, for approx £100 plus labour. If you want to spend more then you can have the case refinished for £100-150 & even replace the dial - but at that point it really starts to be a different watch & the renovation will be costing nearly the same as buying a good original.

Hope that helps.

efauser likes this.
  7. tdn-dk Jan 3, 2016

8. Fran Fisher Jan 3, 2016

Thanks so much for your thorough and most helpful reply. You have helped to clear up all of the queries that were running around in my head and solved every problem we have in relation to this watch.
    The previous owner worked in a jewellers and had access to watch repairs, so it all makes perfect sense! He wore the watch daily for many years, hence its condition.
    It is going to a young person following the death of his grandfather and it will be much easier now to make a decision about how much to spend on it.
    Of course it still has sentimental value and, luckily, is in good working order at present, so we will maybe just get it serviced for now and the grandson can decide what else he would like to do.
    Thanks again to everyone who helped. This forum is most impressive. So glad I found it :)

SpikiSpikester likes this.