Forums Latest Members
  1. Learning2fly Oct 4, 2016

Hello all,

First of all, very grateful to the enthusiasts who devote their time to this forum and help novices like me.

Here's a Seamaster I've been gifted by a friend. It's a mechanical and needs winding.

Posting pictures. Very grateful if you could help me find whether this is an original, and, if yes, how old could this be?

The back is very faded but I do notice some sort of a faded insignia and the words Seamaster. Didn't post pics because my camera couldn't capture it. IMG_8406.JPG IMG_8409.JPG IMG_8418.JPG IMG_8419.JPG

Jwit likes this.
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 4, 2016

Your watch dates to around 1960 and is a genuine Omega.
    Unfortunately it has been badly re-dialed and the regulator is broken.
    There are probably other issues but they are the ones that stand out.

Learning2fly likes this.
  3. Learning2fly Oct 4, 2016

Thanks much for replying. What do you exactly mean when you say re-dialed? Has the dial been changed? Is this not the original dial or how it was meant to look. I don't really know what a regulator is but the watch functions perfectly fine after it's wound up. How much do you think this watch costs? Appreciate very much any info from you.

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 4, 2016

To answer truthfully, the watch is in very poor condition, the movement has suffered water ingress and subsequent corrosion which is probably why it has been over cleaned, thereby removing the original finish from the movement. The screw heads show a lack of respect for the watch and a lack of skill by the "watchmaker".
    The regulator adjusting spring is broken, compare the two pictures below.

Screen Shot 2016-10-05 at 11.38.57 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-10-05 at 11.44.07 AM.png

The original dial was probably very badly marked or corroded so it was re-painted to look new but the painter used the wrong fonts and markings.

As to functioning fine, only a check on a watch timing machine will tell if it's "running fine".

As to cost, how much was paid for the watch and where was it purchased?

chronos likes this.
  5. Learning2fly Oct 5, 2016

IMG_8420.JPG My friend says she paid $270 for the watch to a dealer known for stocking vintage stuff.

Edited Oct 5, 2016
  6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 5, 2016

I didn't mean who you bought it from, I mean't what country are you in.

It's up to you and your friend to decide. I think it's bad manners to question a gift, but I think she was taken advantage of if all of those faults were not pointed out to her.

I would return the watch and look for something better, and give her a big hug for thinking of you.

7. Learning2fly Oct 5, 2016

I am in India. I will ask her to check with the dealer and of course give her a hug for being so thoughtful. Thanks much, Jim. You've been very helpful. Very grateful.

8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 5, 2016

This is what that watch should look like (not exactly but very close).

Screen Shot 2016-10-05 at 7.10.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-05 at 7.10.58 PM.png

9. Learning2fly Oct 5, 2016

Ah! In that case, this turns to be a franken watch. How much do you actually think this is worth? I agree it's not polite to question a gift but no one should be duped.

10. tyrantlizardrex Oct 5, 2016

Somewhere between what was paid and nothing.

This isn't a case of going back and negotiating a lower price... this is not a watch you want in your life.

Return it... quickly. ;)

11. Learning2fly Oct 5, 2016

Yes sir

12. chronos Oct 5, 2016

I don't get it. I thought the watch was gifted by a friend? ::confused2::

13. Learning2fly Oct 5, 2016

That's correct it was a gift. But the person who gifted it wasn't sure about its originality. So we can together get an exchange or a refund. Hurts no feelings.

Scepticalist and chronos like this.