Forums Latest Members

Help people to tell them if it's a fake or not when it's hard to figure it out

1. Doddy123 Nov 22, 2017

Hi guys ,

As a beginner , i know what it feels to be hesitating before ordering a watch when you don't know about its authenticity .
    I create this thread in order to help all the people that wan't help .

It will be based on :
    Posting your eventual next purchase and wait for the answer of other good amateur of Vintage watch and so on to guide you .

2. Doddy123 Nov 22, 2017

3. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Nov 22, 2017

4. fjf Nov 22, 2017

Looks OK. Expensive.

McKinley likes this.
  5. Doddy123 Nov 22, 2017

what if i can get it for 400 dollars ?

6. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Nov 22, 2017

I wouldn't pay more than that.

watchyouwant likes this.
  7. Doddy123 Nov 22, 2017

8. dan7800 Nov 22, 2017

Lurk the forums and read read read. The for sale section and WRUW threads are really helpful.

McKinley likes this.
  9. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Nov 22, 2017

10. Davidt Nov 22, 2017

If you're still "learning how to fish", you shouldn't be buying watches that you're unsure of unless you're happy to take gambles and prepared to lose money. A better approach is to hold off buying just yet (unless you're looking at respected sellers, such as some of those in the FS section), until you have a better idea what you're looking for.

Relying on the good nature of experienced collectors and expecting them to vet countless dogs for people who don't want to do their own research isn't really what this forum's about.

lando, mydeafcat, djmusicman and 4 others like this.
  11. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Nov 22, 2017

Patience. Try to develop a sense of what is truly appealing to you, rather than buying a vintage watch for the satisfaction of a desire to collect.

Edited Nov 22, 2017
    mydeafcat and Doddy123 like this.
  12. Passover Nov 22, 2017

Hi,

if you already decided to get a hand winding Geneve and you can get it for 400$ go ahead, you gotta start somewhere!

If this is only one option you maybe should keep on searching: A lot of Omegas are available in the US.

Look each day at incoming offers at Ebay (just search "Omega") and see what is offered.

Maybe you'll find a nice Seamaster Automatic for the same price :)

By the way: Take the first step yourself, take the reference number of the watch you want to check, search the web and compare "yours" with what you find. You'll maybe already see if they look different.

Take care

Edited Nov 22, 2017
    Doddy123 likes this.
  13. Kmart Nov 22, 2017

Good advice. I found this out the hard way this year. However I can attest that buying and selling lots of watches is often the best way to do this -- as long as you're willing to lose a bit of money.

Doddy123 and kingsrider like this.
  14. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Nov 22, 2017

I agree completely. Fortunately, using this forum has helped me to profit more than lose, on the watches I moved on.

mydeafcat and Doddy123 like this.
  15. mydeafcat Nov 22, 2017

As a noob with less than 2 month’s OF experience, I’m perhaps more closely related to the original poster in experience - or lack thereof.

So: These OF expert folks speak the truth. Read. Watch. Wait. Learn. Read. Research. Read more. Miss out. Try again.

That said, I have had great luck on my first of what will be further purchases; while my waiting period was relatively short, I followed everyone’s advice. I did my homework, too. I knew what I was after, researched like mad, learned to fish and while my first purchase (a 1963 linen dial Seamaster 30) isn’t my holy grail, (that’s a Steel 1962 Seamaster De Ville 166/165.0020), it’s nevertheless a piece I absolutely adore and cannot stop staring at. My trusted watchmaker was thrilled and said I nailed it, notwithstanding the slightly pitted hands. Live and learn!!! Still, I was lucky, but it was also the comments from these knowledgeable experts that gave me the requisite courage. A calculated risk that paid off. Admittedly, I’m not a collector, per se; I’m more of a brand advocate that appreciates Omega’s rich history. I also own other timepieces but prefer my Omegas. There will be more.

I’ve since directed a collector colleague here. He’s hooked and like me, values the passion and commitment of the OF old guard, and wide-eyed curiosity of us newbies.

What’s great about OF is the obvious peer to peer respect and tacit understanding of being fair and as transparent as one could hope for.

Edited Nov 25, 2017
    MaiLollo, Doddy123 and McKinley like this.
  16. fjf Nov 22, 2017

The problem now a days is that we want it all today. And it takes time and patience to learn how not to get burnt. The thread referenced above (Learn how to fish) is a good start, but only the begining. Browse here frequently, see the pics posted, read the comments...and learn. Decide what you like and would want....and learn. Do your homework, do a search here and google it...and learn. And when you know most of the details, keep browsing on ebay and here, in the sales forum....and when you see it, fire at will. Get it. Most of the pleasure is in the search and hunt.

Davidt, mydeafcat and Doddy123 like this.
  17. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Nov 22, 2017

I think it’s better to create a new thread for each watch you are considering, otherwise it gets confusing, also adding the pictures to the thread makes it easier, people are more likely to reply if they don’t need to click the link.
    My very first near purchase was a real dog, and the guys here saved me a lot of $. So it is always best to ask before you buy and if someone has the inclination they’ll give you input.

Doddy123 likes this.