Help on vintage Omega.

Hi, wondering if anyone can shed a little light on this Omega. Looking at the movement number it seems to date from 1935, but the inscription on the back is from 1944. Could a watch seller possible have had the watch for this long or might it have been bought second hand. This is all surmising as we shall never know. Anyhow any information about this watch would be of great help, many thanks.

In my opinion the inscription on the back could be added later. It's not unusual to make a gift a preowned watch and to personalise it.

The case number would date the watch to the mid 1940’s. I can’t quite make out the watch serial number, but the first digit looks to be a “9” which would be consistent with the case.

If anything, the watch may have been purchased just after the January 1944 date and inscribed as a “remembrance”.
gatorcpa

The case number would date the watch to the mid 1940’s. I can’t quite make out the watch serial number, but the first digit looks to be a “9” which would be consistent with the case.

If anything, the watch may have been purchased just after the January 1944 date and inscribed as a “remembrance”.
gatorcpa

Sorry, watch number starts with 864 so looking at 1935 I think. Thanks.
Just saw that you were looking at the case number rather than the watch number. Thanks for your assistance.

Portugese import stamp on the top left leg which ties in ( I think ) with the inscription language

Thanks. Watch was bought by myself in Spain so certainly might be. Thanks.

Portugese import stamp on the top left leg which ties in ( I think ) with the inscription language

Nop… the import stamp it’s Portuguese but the language is definitely Spanish 😉

Sorry, watch number starts with 864 so looking at 1935 I think. Thanks.

The movement is obviously a cal. 30 SC T2, so the number can´t start with 864...
Cal. 30 was the first variant and started in 1939 with serial 89656XX (first batch of 600 movements)
So most likely you misread the first digit, it must be a "9", its possible that it was badly cast

That must have been a beautiful dial when it left the factory

DON

Agreed, even now the gold colour on the dial is amazing. I love old omegas and this one is certainly a nice one. Thanks.