Help on vintage Omega and Tissot wristwatches

Hello,

I am a new member in need of your expert advice regarding two vintage wristwatches passed to me by my late grandparents.

One is an Omega men’s watch and the other is a women’s Tissot. I am planning to go to a watch maker in order to open the cases and find the identification numbers.

I would like your opinion on how to proceed. I definitely don’t want to keep the Tissot but I like the simple but elegant design of the Omega, so I may keep. Is it worth it to invest on restoring them? As far as I know they are still in working condition but I am pretty certain their straps are not original.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Michail IMG_7162.jpeg IMG_7164.jpeg IMG_7161.jpeg IMG_7163.jpeg

Some more information that may be of help. I remember my grandfather wearing this watch since I was a little kid. I was born in 1974. I can't be that certain with the Tissot but I believe it was purchased later than the Omega. The last time the Omega was serviced was around the late 80s. Can't remember about the Tissot. Hope this info is of some use to you.

Hello Michail.

What goes to Omega, it has no water resistance due to case constructive, dial is in badly condition, case looks ok to it's age.
The best option you have is to service that and save as pice of family story.

The case reference for the Omega is possibly 14713, with a 268 calibre movement, dating to the late 1950s/early 1960s. Hands look original, but the dial is quite degraded. Commercially, it wouldn't make much sense spending money on it as it is not worth a great deal, but for sentimental reasons the opposite could hold true for you.

Also, I can't quite tell from the photographs but the Omega does appear to have a bit of a gold tint to it so if the case turned to be solid gold that would obviously change things for it's value.

The only way you are going to know for sure is to have a watchmaker take a look at it, inside and out, and give you a proper report.

If you can see yourself wearing the Omega, then you can ask the watchmaker if he can service the movement for you. Otherwise, you can just save it as an heirloom. No need to have it serviced if you're not going to wear it. Unfortunately, the dial damage (likely due to water intrusion through the crown) is probably irreversible, so if you were thinking the dial could be cleaned, that is not going to be possible. When people talk about "restoring" dials, they mean that they are completely repainted, and I really wouldn't recommend that.

Many thanks for your thoughts. I was hoping that the damage on the dial of the Omega would be reversible through some kind of cleaning process. Assuming that there’s no damage to the moving parts would it be possible to find an original replacement in order to maintain its authenticity as much as possible?

As it is now I don’t see myself wearing it but I will keep it for sentimental reasons.

@HadgeBadge: No, there’s no golden case unfortunately.

What about the Tissot? Is there another thread for this brand?

Cheers,

Michail

What about the Tissot? Is there another thread for this brand?
The Tissot is a gold plated ladies watch. Not a big market for it, I’m afraid.

The only chance for your Omega is to find another watch with the same case reference (which still has not been determined) and a nicer dial. That is not likely to be cheap. Omega hasn’t stocked replacement dials for these watches for 30 or 40 years.

Add in the cost of an overhaul and you are looking at twice current value to restore, if you are lucky.
gatorcpa