Forums Latest Members
  1. sdevilla Mar 22, 2015

Hi all,

This is my first official post on the forums but I've been reading along for the last few months. Excited to join the community and look forward to learning from all of you.

Below are two different Seamasters I'm thinking of purchasing and was hoping to get your collective opinions.

The first is a stainless steel 2975-3, caliber 501 claiming to be all original. Anything undesirable here?

The second is a Seamaster 600. Had a couple questions on this one: 1) what is best way to tell if something is gold plated? 2) does the crown look off? sell claims its original

Thanks everyone for the help!

SD

2975_front.JPG 2975_front2.JPG 2975_profile.JPG 2975_movement.JPG SM600_front.JPG SM600_back.JPG SM600_caseback.JPG SM600_crown.JPG SM600_movement.JPG
  2. Paul K Mar 22, 2015

I believe the first is a re-dial.

On the second, it is gold plated. The text on the inside of the stainless steel caseback indicates as much. The crown is not original to the watch. I have never seen a dial like it, but someone with more knowledge will likely be along to offer an opinion on it.

Nobel Prize and sdevilla like this.
  3. sdevilla Mar 22, 2015

Thanks, Paul K -- very helpful.

For my own edification, what makes you believe the first is a re-dial? On the second, thanks for clarifying the gold-plating -- should've googled the French!

4. ChrisN Mar 22, 2015

On the first, I think Paul is looking at the thickness of the marking and the whole thing has no delicacy. I would steer clear of it anyway as the hands are marked and there is corrosion on the movement - look at the area on the left and compare to the same feature on the second.

I haven't seen a dial like the second so will leave that to others. The movement looks nice.
    By the way, I think the second is losing it's plating. Look at the back of the lugs.

Have a look on the sales forums here as well.

Cheers, Chris

Edited Mar 22, 2015
  5. sdevilla Mar 22, 2015

Chris, thanks for the review.

Fair points on the first. The "Swiss Made" at 6 also looks unevenly spaced upon further review.

On the second, are you referencing the dotting on the lug in the upper right? Where else do you notice areas where the watch is losing its plating? Again, just want to start learning what to look for so appreciate the help. Thanks!

6. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 22, 2015

Might be the picture but to me the font on the Omega Automatic Legend on the first one also seems to lack cemetery (look at the A's) and finishing. I am not one of the experts on vintage pieces here so It is a guess. Also given the corrosion on the movement and hands (and I think on the sides of the dial) I would think the dial itself was corroded and had to be restored.