Forums Latest Members
  1. Bishness Oct 5, 2016

Hi, newbie here...

I found this during my mother-in-law's house clearance. I think my father-in-law used to wear it but that means it hasn't been worn for over 20 years. I've had a look on t'Net but I can't work out what model it is, what year or any idea of the value of it. One "expert" suggested that the dial had been restored but if so, it wasn't recent. Obviously, the engraving on the back might be an issue - it's not his name and I don't know how it came into his possession although he was a jewellery shop manager so perhaps as a part exchange?

I'd appreciate any feedback. We are looking to sell this but struggling to know if it's worth the effort.

Thanks,
    Bishness

P1050729.JPG P1050731.JPG
  2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 5, 2016

Looking at it closely, I think the 'expert' is correct about the dial having been refinished.

Also, there is lume on the markers, but no 'T's at "Swiss Made", so either lume was added, the 'T's were left off when refinishing the dial, or the watch is from the post-radium period ~'63 when the lume changed to tritium but Ts were not yet required. Also the lume application looks messy, so I am guessing it is not original.

I suspect you will need to have the case opened in order to get the model # and movement #; only then will you really know what you have.

3. Bishness Oct 5, 2016

Thanks BlackTalon, looks like my expert was an expert after all! I've had the back off and it's a 501. There's a serial no(?) on the movement - 15876572.
    What else am I looking for?

4. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 5, 2016

Is there a 4-6 digit # on the inside face of the caseback?

Post a pic of it, as well as one of the movement. That will be very helpful to the real knowledgeable people here.

5. Bishness Oct 5, 2016

There are a few numbers: 315.164 and 2846-2848

P1050734.JPG P1050735.JPG
  6. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 5, 2016

Now you can use a search engine to look for more info. Use 2846 and/ or 2848. You should be able to find out what the dial originally looked like, and if the 501 cal was correct.

7. Bishness Oct 5, 2016

Hi, from a few searches it kind of looks like the replacement dial comes from a different 501 model then and maybe restored? I guess the bottom line is: is this saleable and if so, what would be a reasonable price to pitch? It's got an Omega S/S strap (original or not?) but I don't want to keep it; it's not the type of watch I would wear although I do like it.

8. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 5, 2016

Anything can be sold; the real question is how much is someone willing to pay for it. You would probably do best listing it on eBay. Include the photos of the caseback and movement. Also include a pic of the bracelet clasp shows the numbers/ text stamped into it.

9. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Oct 5, 2016

I think the dial is the real deal. Line and font thickness very consistent. Reticle hits the indices spot on, at 3,6,9,12. Sloppy lume? maybe lume has deteriorated and is flaky. Serial number 15xxxxxx dates watch to 1956. Radium? The reticle does not intersect the E so that may mean I am wrong. I vote real.
    Is that red hand original?

cristos71 likes this.
  10. Bishness Oct 5, 2016

Yes, it's amazing what people will buy on Ebay! Any suggestion on a price to pitch it?

11. Bishness Oct 5, 2016

kingsrider, real would be nice but I know nothing about these. The full serial number seems to be 1573BMC111 but I'm not sure...

12. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 5, 2016

The lume plots look different to me then I've seen from dials with the original radium, although my 'experience' is primarily looking at photos (so still very much a work in progess). And the 'S' in Seamaster seems a little off.

Seconds hand seems a litlle long, so I was thinking replacement as well.

13. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Oct 5, 2016

Real =$$$. wait for more opinions before you list it

14. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 5, 2016

15. Bishness Oct 5, 2016

I could buy into it being restored, my father-in-law ran a jewellers shop and I know he did work on watches. I'd really appreciate other opinions before I do anything with it.

16. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 5, 2016

And you will get some over the next few hours/ days. With OF members all over the world, many are still asleep!

17. Bishness Oct 5, 2016

Much appreciated.

18. ChrisN Oct 5, 2016

I vote for an original dial. Here's a 501 dial of mine. It's late here so it's not the best light. Compare your "Omega", "Automatic", "Seamaster" and "Swiss made" to this one and you're looking for them being almost identical. I can't see the "Automatic" very well in your photo but, you seem to have the flat tops in the M and these are, typically, not well done on a redial.

Also, the "Swiss Made" is aligned with the last S finishing at exactly six O'Clock and redialers normally centre the text differently. Hour and minute hands are the right length but I don't believe the red second hand is right.

The lume is in the outer area of the markers showing as a granular sort of filling in my photo. Yours is probably similar but I can't tell from the photos.

The Omega database is often incomplete for case finish so, I wouldn't worry about the stainless not showing.

sm1.jpg
    You've got the large Hippocampus on the back which is nice, a clean 501 and a BOR bracelet. Unserviced, even with the engraving but with a fair wind, I'd put it between 300 and 500 of your very weak (and getting weaker) pounds:D . If I were you, I'd keep it and put a couple of hundred or so into a service and crystal as they won't be making any more of these so, it's a nice thing to have.

Hope this helps, Chris

19. Bishness Oct 5, 2016

Thanks ChrisN, I'd not noticed the long red second hand until it was pointed out on here. Must say that doesn't look right to me either but I'd like to think the dial is an original Omega but maybe from another model. Is that possible/likely? Rather than it having been redialed. I know for a fact that the watch hasn't been touched for at least 20 years, so is it likely that this work would have been done back in the '80s/90s?

BTW, our pound might be weak but it's still worth a pound over here!

20. Davidt Oct 5, 2016

If you're purely looking to sell, the best, easiest method is to take several macro pictures at all angles and list on ebay in a no reserve auction. Let the buyers decide if the dial is original. It makes no difference to some and most of those that care will makeup their own mind with decent pictures.

Where are you based?