Forums Latest Members
  1. enochulate Aug 15, 2014

Hi everyone,

I've been reading the forums and trawling the internet for about a week now looking to purchase my first vintage omega. I've got a few I'm keeping my eye on ebay that I've found links to from here and other forums. (Hoping to win those) I've recently seen one advertised closer to home that I am not quite sure of, so hoping for any sort of advise if I should purchase it or run away.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/eppi...ter-cosmic-black-dial-hand-winding/1053490756

Is it just me or does the word Cosmic not right? Like should the 'S' be more in the middle? Not too sure if I should trust my eyes on this.
    I've messaged the seller to get a pic of the movement as well but he said he doesn't have tools.
    Hoping to start my collection and hopefully not on a dud.

Appreciate any comments and advice! Thanks in advance

2. Hijak Aug 16, 2014

Don't think that S is a problem but you need to be careful with black dials as most are redials. From those low-res pictures it's hard to determine the originality of this dial. With these front load cases it is difficult to remove the movement for a picture and without the right tools it is not recommended, something best left to a qualified watchmaker. Also the case seems to be polished enough to have removed the original finish...personally unless I could get a clear hi-res picture of the dial and case to really see the condition I'd pass. Good luck with your search.

3. Hijak Aug 16, 2014

Have you seen this nice Seamaster 600 with black dial in the For Sale thread here on Omega Forums? It's a little more money but has a nice sharp case with a clean recently serviced cal. 601 movement.

4. enochulate Aug 16, 2014

Thanks so much for the advice! Yeah I might just leave that cosmic alone. Just saw the one you mentioned. Is that a redial too? I'm actually on the lookout for a white dial. I got some I'm bidding for at the moment and if I don't win them, I might just bite on the 600. Cheers.

5. Hijak Aug 17, 2014

6. NT931 Aug 17, 2014

I'm not an expert on dials or redials but the cal 601 is a durable, non-fussy movement, which is a plus point if you're new, assuming you don't mind manual winding. I personally like manual winding but I accept it may not be to everyone's cup of tea.

SpikiSpikester likes this.