Forums Latest Members

Help on identifying conditions of this vintage Seamaster

1. Umapius Feb 26, 2017

Hello, i've watching a listing on this vintage Seamaster. Having learned from this amazing forum, I started to check the reference & serial numbers, etc.
    However I have no experience assessing the conditions of some watches, especially those that look not very clean, like this one. I dont know what to think of, for example, the dial. Do you call it "patina" or "dirty" and faded text? And the crown, although signed, is it original?
    Can you please take a look on these pictures. Your remarks and opinions on the authenticity and conditions of this Seamaster are highly appreciated.
    File_000.jpeg File_001.jpeg File_002.jpeg File_003.jpeg File_004.jpeg File_005.jpeg File_006.jpeg File_007.jpeg File_008.jpeg File_009.jpeg

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 26, 2017

Real stainless steel 166.010 with a 562 movement. You can check to see if those match via a google search.

Dial has been cleaned which took of some text, been polished and lost some sharpness on the lugs.

Signed Crown looks ok, google the reference to check it.

Umapius likes this.
  3. cristos71 Feb 26, 2017

Sorry, but I'd have to describe it as a very tired example of a not very interesting Seamaster reference.

Pass and look further, there are tons of fantastic Seamasters out there!

oddboy and Umapius like this.
  4. Umapius Feb 26, 2017

Yes, I've checked all the numbers. They seem all matched.
    Thank you, now I learned how to think of this dial condition. So it used to be even dirtier, with tiny bubbles showing humidity there inside the watch. Which is not good!

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 26, 2017

May not be because of humidity but yes.

Umapius likes this.
  6. WatchmakerTheory Feb 26, 2017

Good observation, but might want to note that sometimes paint bubbles can occur for other reasons.

I suspect you'll be able to find an even better example of this watch if you keep looking!

Umapius likes this.
  7. Umapius Feb 26, 2017

Now this is a very straightforward, critical comment, which I like. Dicisions are to be made on one's own. But one also wants to hear personal view from others. Especially one that still has little idea coming into this huge vintage world like myself.
    @cristos71, I would like to hear more why that is not a very interesting Seamaster reference? I see there are a lot of different references of Seamaster. Aside from calibres, I have no idea which case references are more significant or interesting.
    For example, what do you think about this steel 166.003 with calibre 565? (Also another listing I'm watching).
    Thank you very much.
    IMG_8970.JPG IMG_8973.JPG

8. cristos71 Feb 27, 2017

Seamasters have been in production since the end of the 1940's, so there are hundreds if not thousands of references to choose from. Half of the fun in this hobby is the research and the hunt so it would be pointless of me to give you specific references to search for, you need to do some basic leg work yourself and find a reference that you find interesting. One thing I will suggest is that you may want to focus on SM chronometers, there are many references from the inception of the line up until today but then you know you will be buying a top of the line model instead of the plain vanilla versions you have posted.

If you search here for "Seamaster sparkle dial" you will find a style that is something of a forum favourite, with quite a few different versions having been made, some of which are chronometers. Made in steel as well as gold and also still quite affordable and a good entry point if you are after this kind of design.

Umapius likes this.
  9. Umapius Feb 28, 2017

Thank you @cristos71, very helpful information for a freshman like me.
    Yes I had also thought to focus on SM chronometers. I know there are not as many of them as Constellations chronometers. So that's make things less compicated, I hope.
    I have to admit, I havent heard about "sparkle dial" until you told me. I've made some search. Now I have a great starting point to do my homework. Thank you again.

10. cristos71 Feb 28, 2017

Your welcome. And if you prefer an earlier SM chronometre you can try for references 2515, 2516, 2517, 2518, 2519, 2520, 2521..........have fun :D

Umapius likes this.
  11. Ravineman Feb 28, 2017

If you spend some time here you will see LOTS of Seamasters, some you'll like, others you won't.
    I don't care for the first one but the second one is a beauty for sure. Good luck with your search.

Umapius likes this.
  12. Umapius Mar 1, 2017

I've made some searching on those earlier SM Chronometers. Seems I dont like them much.
    I dont know why, I feel that I Iike the 564 better than the 75x. Maybe just from the look of the movement.
    Would be great to hear what you have to say about this.

13. cristos71 Mar 1, 2017

Sure the 564 SM chronometers are fine watches. I personally prefer the earlier refs. where I find the dial and case designs more to my taste.

Umapius likes this.
  14. ConElPueblo Mar 1, 2017

...I'd say that since the two movements are virtually identically looking to a layman, I am pretty confused by your statement? ::confused2::

I pretty much love all Seamaster Chronometers (heck, Constellations and others too!), they all have their merit.

Umapius likes this.
  15. Umapius Mar 1, 2017

@ConElPueblo now that I look one calibre against another closely, I start to confuse myself hehe.
    Anyway never mind, at least I start to know where to focus and what I am personally more into. Thanks to all those kind advice and input of you guys!
    Btw I'm more a sports watch guy, so I am normally not into those Connies with fancy lugs and cases. But the C-case in steel really got me now.