Forums Latest Members
  1. OmegaCal66 Jul 7, 2015

Looking at this local auction and there is two Constellations I would like some advice on please
    1st choice is
    Omega Constellation day/date automatic wristwatch, calibre 751, 35mm diameter, circa 1969, working
    Constellation 2.JPG Constellation dial.jpg Constellation side.jpg Constellation.JPG
    2nd choice
    Omega Constellation calendar automatic wristwatch, with pie-pan dial, calibre 561, 34mm diameter, circa 1960's, working
    pie pan back.jpg Pie pan dial side.jpg Pie pan dial.jpg pie pan mov.jpg

Sorry photos are not great I know.

Low reserves on both so not sure what a good price is as I don't know much about constellations except what I have just read on http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.no/.

Many thanks

pie pan back.jpg
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 7, 2015

Both look to be all original and in decent "barn find" condition. They will likely both need service immediately, so factor that into your bid price.

The 2nd one is far more collectible (pie-pan dial) and should bring a much higher price. However, if you do choose to sell in the future it will be a much easier sale.

The base movements on both are the same and many of the parts are interchangeable between the two. Both are among the best series of automatic movements made by Omega. Can't go wrong with either, provided they are in proper working condition.

Good luck on your auction(s).
    gatorcpa

OmegaCal66 likes this.
  3. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 7, 2015

Hi OmegaCal66

firstly you can't go wrong if you get your info from Desmond's blog
    -and as far as I'm concerned -Constellations are great great watches

I looked at the watches in this sale too -and especially the Connies -and there are a lot of 'tired' watches throughout the sale

1st watch
    nice 'round case' -semi hidden crown -which although has had a life looks pretty good with decent edges
    cal 751 -the successor to the final 500-series the cal 564 -very good movement
    Desmond has a whole paper dedicated to movements
    the movement looks in reasonable nick -but would likely need a service
    dial looks all original to me but has possibly lost some lume at 3 o'clock? -that wouldn't stop me buying it -the lume won't glow anyway, so you'll never miss it
    I think it is just a bit of crap on the crystal that makes the hour hand look as though it has a chip on it
    can't see the Omega symbol on the crystal but the crystal looks good except for a small scratch/crack near 6
    well defined medallion
    scratches on case back from some numpty trying to open the case -will polish out if it bothers you
    correct stye of crown for this reference

IMHO -this is a really lovely watch

the 751 day/date isn't as popular as say the same '564 date' so they are good value for money if you like the style
    if this was a 564 version (with a hidden crown) we would be going head to head -that same round case style with pencil hands -but without the day -is at the top of my shopping list.

in saying that it is still a low estimate for a Constellation -expect to pay min of the top estimate probably more like double the bottom estimate
    -it just depends who else wants it
    factor in at least £200 for a service

2nd watch
    this one is more difficult to judge as the pics aren't good enough to assess the font on the dial
    however, from what I can tell -the font is too thick on 'Automatic' -looks like someone bought a new Sharpy
    the minute markers don't look consistent -but could be distortion from the crystal
    the cross hairs aren't consistent
    the star is on the piss
    the case is in good nick -but whilst it looks like it has sharp edges it's very shiny -which is a bit odd
    movement looks in good nick too -but there are possible signs of the rotor rubbing on the case back
    -see faint ring from 3 -6 on the case back pic
    -so might need a new rotor (with bearing)
    original style crown
    medallion is a bit worn -but not disastrously so

IMHO -I would stay away from this watch unless you can get better pics -or see it up close and personal

it shouldn't sell for more than the bottom estimate but if some unlucky punters consider it is all original then the current UK auction price is around £400-500

hope that helps!

best of luck with the auction - if you do pick one up -post the pics up here when you get it

Philip

p.s. I was writing while Gatorcpa was replying -I'd take his opinion over mine on the 2nd watch :)

Edited Jul 7, 2015
    OmegaCal66 likes this.
  4. OmegaCal66 Jul 7, 2015

Gatorcpa and Philip, many thanks for your invaluable info. Will let you know how I get on. Was never 100% on the 2nd one so glad you made my mind up for me.

Is there a book that tells you the Constellation story/variants as it might be I get hooked :)

Best
    G

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 7, 2015

You found just about the best information available.

One last point, in my opinion, the pie-pan dial looks correct. However, Phillip's point is well taken and you should ask for a better picture to be sure. I should have mentioned that above.

gatorcpa

6. OmegaCal66 Jul 8, 2015

Thanks Gatorcpa, I have asked for better photos.

7. sliceoftime_ Jul 8, 2015

Think you can't go wrong with both, or you can just get both!

8. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 10, 2015

watch 1 £320 -so not too far off with my top end guestimate (approx £394 or $610 all in)
    hope the OP held his nerve -still a good deal at that price
    watch 2 £550 -so still not too far off but still (£100) too expensive for that watch IMO -if it is legit (approx £675 or $1050 with add-ons)
    doesn't bode well for future Connie sales in the UK.....

9. OmegaCal66 Jul 10, 2015

Got the first one but let the 2nd pass as couldn't get a decent photo off it. Will post photos when I get it.
    Some of the other watches went for random amounts so if you can see them in the flesh you would probably do well.

10. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 10, 2015

Congratulations! -good call

look forward to seeing more pics when it arrives

11. OmegaCal66 Jul 21, 2015

Here it is, sorry still practising my photo technique and not very sunny here at mo.

Running and looking great, very happy. Thanks for all the help.

2015-07-21 18.43.50.jpg

751 backcase inner.jpg 751 mov 1.jpg 2015-07-21 17.54.44.jpg 2015-07-21 17.54.57.jpg 2015-07-21 17.55.49 HDR.jpg 2015-07-21 18.13.26.jpg 2015-07-21 18.44.11.jpg 2015-07-21 18.44.42.jpg 751 dial 2.jpg

gatorcpa likes this.
  12. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 21, 2015

very nice congratulations on your new Constellation!

OmegaCal66 likes this.
  13. ChrisN Jul 21, 2015

Nice watch at what seems to me to be a good price for UK even adding in a service cost. Congratulations!

OmegaCal66 likes this.