Forums Latest Members
  1. kristal Jul 22, 2020

Hello everyone,

I will need your help on the following matter since I am a newbie in the watch world. Recently my uncle passed away and my aunt gave me his previous watch to have it. The watch is a Citizen Eco Drive wr100 gold plated (I assume from around 90s but can't figure out the exact date). The watch was missing the crown but when the watch was under the light still I could see the hands moving (as it is a solar based watch).
    I brought the watch here in Switzerland and I gave it to a watchmaker that is collaborating with the Citizen Official Service.
    After months of waiting due to the corona situation I finally received an offer of 220 CHF which contains the following:

-Complete change of the mechanism
    -New crown and the part that goes into a watch
    -New Crystal
    -Waterproof check
    -12 months of guarantee

My Uncle was using the watch as an everyday tool watch and I know that the value of the watch itself is insignificant, however the sentimental watch value for me is Priceless and for that reason I would like to have it as close as he used to have it. I was thinking to tell them to not even change the Crystal but clean it instead. In addition, I asked them if there is any polishing involved in the process but they told me that since the watch is gold plated they should not polish the watch. However I think that I would like to have it also in written form that I wouldn't like it polish.
    What do you think that the service should contain based on what I described?Is there any process of cleaning the case and the bracelet without polishing the watch?
    Unfortunately, I did not take any pictures of the watch before, but I found a similar watch online and I attach the pictures here.

Screenshot_20200715_163455_com.android.chrome.jpg
  2. Canuck Jul 22, 2020

Some early Citizen Eco drive watches did not have removable case backs, meaning the watches were assembled through the front. That may apply to yours. If it does, in order to process the repair, air pressure has to be used to “blow” the crystal out of the case. If this applies, it might be standard practice to quote for a replacement crystal and retainer ring, because of the risk of the crystal shattering when removed. These service centres are quoting for a repair THEY feel they can guarantee! Perhaps they feel if they do the repair YOU want done, they won’t guarantee it. You may have limited choices. If you don’t want it changed in any way, just ask for it to be returned, not done.

3. kristal Jul 22, 2020

Thanks a lot for your anwer @Canuck! So do you suggest to tell them explixitly that i dont want Crystal replacement see what they say and then plan accordingly. About the rest of the work what do you think? Can they perform some kind of cleaning in the case and bracelet without polishing the watch?

4. Canuck Jul 22, 2020

Tell them to do what needs to be done, but to re-use the original crystal. OR, to return the watch NOT DONE. The usual result is, they’ll do the job AND replace the crystal. Most of these outfits don’t give a rat’s A$$ what the customer wants.

5. kristal Sep 8, 2020

After 6 months of waiting due to corona finally my uncles's watch is back!
    Complete change of mechanism but no polishing and no new crystal installation!
    A piece of great sentimental value!

IMG_20200908_193139.jpg IMG_20200908_193135.jpg
    Sam11 likes this.