Forums Latest Members
  1. dantaspaulo May 9, 2013

Hi guys,

I'm new around here and I've been browsing around for a couple of days as I'm considering buying my first vintage Omega.

The ad says it's from 1944, but it does look suspiciously clean... The dial might have been repainted, perhaps? How much would you guys say this piece is worth? Any ideas on what the model # might be?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks a lot for helping me out!

2. ulackfocus May 9, 2013

That is definitely a repainted dial.

3. dantaspaulo May 9, 2013

Does that ruin the value of the watch altogether? I'm just thinking of having it as a first nice piece I can wear everyday :)

4. ulackfocus May 9, 2013

As a watch? No. If it still keeps time it does it's job. That's a nice movement too.

As a collector's piece? Yes. Originality is key and the dial can be 40% of the value.

dantaspaulo likes this.
  5. dantaspaulo May 9, 2013

Any ideas on how much it would actually be worth? I'm buying it in Brazil and it is priced at ~ USD 350

6. pitpro Likes the game. May 9, 2013

Sounds fair. Looks like a fun wearer
    Movement very clean

7. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur May 9, 2013

Missing one screw.

8. pitpro Likes the game. May 9, 2013

One other suggestion.
    Ask seller what is the timekeeping accuracy over 24 hours.
    Then try to get 30 day warranty on timekeeping accuracy
    or any malfunction

dantaspaulo likes this.
  9. dantaspaulo May 9, 2013

Managed to get 6mo! :)

10. ulackfocus May 9, 2013

You didn't get a deal, and a 6 month warranty is a nice safety net.

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 10, 2013

Hard to tell for sure from the photo, but the missing screw might be snapped off in the main plate...looks like there might be a remnant in the hole as it looks silver coloured...nothing that can't be fixed at the next service with a bit of alum, water, and time.

It's one of the case screws so hopefully the movement doesn't flop around in the case....

Cheers, Al

12. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur May 10, 2013

Hi Al.

Would you mind telling me how to take that out (with a bit of alum, water and time).

Thanks a lot.

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 10, 2013

Sure - buy some alum (pickling section of the local grocery store), put it in a glass, mix it with warm water (strongest solution you can make), and after removing all steel parts from the plate, put the plate in the water and wait. Every so often you should remove the part and scrape away the black debris that will form on the part that is being dissolved, and expose more of the screw to the solution. Putting the solution on a warming plate will speed the reaction.

If you can't remove all steel parts from the plate, you can submerge only the area where the broken screw is, or coat the steel parts with grease - just make sure the alum solution does not get to the steel parts you don't want dissolved or they will be gone too.

You can also do this with vinegar, and some people boil the vinegar down to concentrate it. I use alum and I am not normally in a big rush (I have plenty of other watches to work on) so if it takes 24 hours I'm good with that.

Then clean off the plate thoroughly rinsing with fresh water, dry, and run it through your cleaning machine (or whatever cleaning process you use) again.

Cheers, Al

dantaspaulo and hoipolloi like this.
  14. dantaspaulo May 10, 2013

I ended up getting the watch and even though it had been restored and all it's a very pretty thing to look at in my wrist. I can hardly wait to get a not-messed-with vintage Omega. :)