Forums Latest Members
  1. Tennos Nov 2, 2015

Could really use some expert advice about possibly acquiring a 105.003 from a reputable dealer in the Northeast. (How reputable remains to be seen.) This is described as essentially all original hands, dial, bezel and insert, crystal, crown, movement and case with minor polishing only. Bezel has obvious damage I can live with. Price is outrageous, so forget that, but I at least want to know if I am going to get a good example.

Thanks All

105.003 Front1.jpg 105.003 Front2.jpg 105.003 movement.jpg 105.003 Inside of case back.jpg 105.003 Crown.jpg 105.003 clasp.jpg 105.003 papers 3.jpg 105.003 case back.jpg
  2. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 2, 2015

If you showed me this and did not say anything at all, I would tell you immediately this is a dealers watch. Now, that needn't stop you, but you need to know this watch has been prepared for sale, not a cared for one (or not cared for!) by an owner. The seller of this watch has only one motive: Profit. Again, not a deal breaker but always needs to be remembered. Owner watches, even by collectors, are not so financially motivated and care more about the watch and where it goes. My favorite watches come from the family of the original owner - I accept hard to find now.

The result of the dealers work is that the pushers do not match (Note: On second look I think they are ok but need to see and check), the case is polished, Hippo very faint, and the box and bracelet look to me as though they were added to the head - so what, indeed, but I like to know. I would also like a closer look at those papers - are they filled out with the serial?

If not then this set is definitely put together.

Again, not a deal breaker, but know that this is the case, rather than seeing it as a one or two owner watch with all original accessories.

The dial, handset and especially the bezel are tired. At this asking I expect a much better bezel, and I would deduct the price of a good bezel from his asking. The endlinks are non original and worthless.

The dial is original and fair, not poor, but not good either.

The hands seem to have something going on at the holes. I can't see. Could just be watchmakers markings.

To sum up, At this asking I expect a much better bezel, and I would deduct the price of a good bezel ($1000-1800) from his asking. You also need to deduct the price of No 6 end links, and these are currently trading at $1500 a set.

I cannot with any integrity recommend this watch at the asking price - that said, I am not going to sell you one of mine for that either, but I am not a motivated seller. I think on ebay this watch would top out around $7500. (My friends here call my a Scrooge and so I could be undervaluing in today's market - but I think in the long run this will always be a less desirable example).

I recommend keeping a sharp eye on Omega Forums Private watch sales. But you have to be quick!

The market is bubbling for these watches. Tread carefully.

One last point.

A "less desirable example" can give years of pleasure and service, but it has to be bought at a lower price than the more desirable ones. Indeed a less expensive watch can be worn more, with less worry, and end up with more wrist time than any other. If you want to wear a watch, sometimes this is the way to go.

cristos71, Sparkiem and watchtinker like this.
  3. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 2, 2015

And it has Chrono creep. Check the lower subdial and the non alignment of the hour counter.

So $600 service too.

Ker-ching!

4. E-diddy Nov 2, 2015

Totally agree with @Spacefruit . If I were you, I would want to know if i am getting value for my $. i don't think this example is worth ewc's asking (they charge a premium). Also, the crown looks to be a service replacement. The chrono creep is just funny.

5. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Nov 2, 2015

So, at a starting price of $10,900 (down from the original $11,500), deduct $1500 for #6s, $1300 for bezel and $600 for service, and guess what that lands you...

$7500

It would be interesting to see what would happen on a $0.99 no reserve auction.

6. watchtinker Nov 2, 2015

Very wise words!

7. Tennos Nov 2, 2015

Thanks to all of you for the sage advice. 105.003s are pretty hard to find (but please feel free to tell me if you know of a good example for sale at a reasonable price), so the question seems to be how much am I willing to pay for a "less desirable" example. The consensus number seems to be around $7,500. If anyone knows of an example available in that price rage of equal or greater quality, please let me know. Thanks again.

Tony

8. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Nov 2, 2015

A very good point! A watch for daily wear need not be collectible, just have parts available.

Tom