Forums Latest Members
  1. sihackett29 Jun 28, 2016

Hello all

Any help would be much appreciated. I have a lovely Omega Orbis that I have had for 3 years. Today, out of the blue, I was wearing it and heard a sound - a sort of pressure 'poof' from the watch. When I looked down, the mechanism had stopped and the second hand was slightly bent. It's obviously completely stopped. Looking through the back of the watch, there looks like there may be some condensation inside the watch but it's hard to tell. Obviously really annoyed this has happened as I look after it well. Any suggestions what might have happened? I've got in touch with Omega who have told me to send it in....

2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jun 28, 2016

any pics? That is very little info to go by. And of course Omega would say to send it in -- that is the only way they can examine it.

3. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Jun 28, 2016

Photos? Did the sapphire case crack? That could have been the sound.

4. sihackett29 Jun 28, 2016

I've not attached any photos at the watch is unremarkable, hasn't been dropped - no cracks etc. As above, there is a a slight bit of condensation inside the back of the watch but that's all.... Sorry I can't be more helpful! It's just literally happened out of the blue

5. cwindham Jun 28, 2016

If you dont post photos then it didnt happen so i call BS.

Foo2rama likes this.
  6. novina Jun 28, 2016

Photos help those that know these watches look for anything abnormal. However unremarkable you think it is, there are others here that could tell you volumes about your watch with the proper pictures. Around here, the saying is "no pictures, didn't happen". Post the best pictures you can and see what happens.

7. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Jun 28, 2016

Based on your description of the incident, plus the photos I haven't seen, I'm going to say that spontaneous combustion is the obvious culprit.

ntfromto and cwindham like this.
  8. cwindham Jun 29, 2016

I am going to change my previous statement of "BS" to "I think your watch might have popped due to the lack of helium". It seems the POP you heard was the gass escaping from the watch, most likely through an old corroded seal around the crown, this gas escapement caused the watch to literally "IMPLODE" on itself. If i were you, i would take it to a tire filling station and have them equal out the pressure with some NITROGEN. The crown unscrews and exposes the airvalve for filling. Of course you have to buy the needle attachment which can be found at any local ACADEMY, WALMART, etc... Good luck and let us know how it goes! Also a link for some reading on the helium escape.
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/big-problem-with-helium-escape.39163/

ntfromto likes this.
  9. ntfromto Jun 30, 2016

Were you "taking a piss" when this happened?

10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 30, 2016

Just a guess. Something in the gear train has let go and the mainspring has unwound instantaneously which made the poof sound and probably drove the second hand beyond its limits.

Send it to Omega.