Forums Latest Members
  1. VintageTime Feb 26, 2017

Hi,
    a while ago I have bought Lemania stopwatch, it is beautifu piece, but just operating was stiff with the delays...
    So I decided to service it.
    Problem was to remove hands - I thought - watch probably hasnt got service in a long...loooong time, so it is stuck with hardened oils: while trying to remove seconds hand it got too hard and broke off with the heart shaped part (dont know name of it) - my heart allso broke!!! :( There is first time I see that caliber...
    Minute hand came off with whole "heart" part. Now trying to separate hands from those posts - it looks imposible!

Can sombody advise me how are hands mounted on this caliber? is it one part with this "heart" post? how to change broken watch "heart"? Should I just try harder???

It is really nice watch in great condition, so I don´t want to make another mistake!!!
    Watch actually looks has newer being serviced before.

Any help will be appreciated!

IMG_0867.jpg IMG_0870.jpg IMG_0872.jpg IMG_0951.jpg IMG_0952.jpg IMG_0953.jpg IMG_0954.jpg
  2. DON Feb 26, 2017

Not sure how you removed the hand, but most likely the problem may have occured if the tool hooked under the lip of the heart cam and not just the hand alone which could be seen in the underside hand image

No oils are used when placing hands on. They're press fit

Going to have to find another parts movement or part to replace the broken one

Easier to search if it has a caliber number

DON

3. VintageTime Mar 1, 2017

No, it did´t hook anything, because that heart part is from the other side of the dial - I just removed hand with the rest of heart thrue dial hole.
    Problem now is that I cannot separate hand from that part (they are pressed together), but normally with a little force hand just removes - but not in this case, same with the minute hand...
    I found that heart part, but how to separate those 2 parts without breaking them?
    Caliber is 9000.

4. ChrisN Mar 1, 2017

You can press the heart out of the hand with your staking set. I bought a stopwatch with the same issue and just pressed the heart out. I used the anvil with the triangular cut out and slid the hand along it to support the hand lip. Then an appropriate sized stake to press out the heart. Let me know if you need a picture.

If you can do the second hand like this, I'll give you some ideas for the minute counter hand.

Cheers, Chris

5. VintageTime Mar 1, 2017

Hallo Chris,
    I was trying like you say before, but couldn´t press out with the fingers, so was in doubt if they can separates, but after you permittion :) I did it with a bit of help of a hammer :) YuHoooo!! That little bastard is out!
    I would like to hear about minute counter...

Thanx for Your help!

IMG_0958.jpg IMG_0959.jpg
  6. j.allen Mar 1, 2017

You can see the corrosion that had adhered the post of the hand to the "heart." Hopefully the small hand is not rusted as it will be more delicate. If you cannot gently pry it up with a pair of levers there may be something you can apply to loosen it, the problem being getting it on the dial.

7. ChrisN Mar 1, 2017

Nicely done! I'm sure Cousins will have the new heart.

You've got two options with the minute hand:

1. Leave it where it is and clean it with Rodico. Theoretically, and I've not done this, you can just press it back on the pinion when you fit the dial if you don't have any corrosion or a fault with it. The heart and hand will still be aligned and you will need to have the hammers open and the hand aligned so the heart does not foul the hammer.

2. Like you did with the other. Assuming the dial is flat and not with significant curvature. Put a thick packer under the hand on top of the dial to protect it from the hand surrounding the hand lip - spend a bit of time to make it fit well. Support the back of the dial as close to the hole as possible, possibly with the same anvil and again with some protection. Appropriate stake and sharp tap.

I suppose there is a third option and that's to cut the heart off to get you in the same situation as the second hand. A bit extreme for me but depends on how it feels when you tap it.

Good luck. Sometimes we need to apply what seems like a lot of force to separate things and other times it's such a delicate touch. Very hard to judge but always easier pushing rather than pulling. By the way, my stopwatch hands are very tight on the hearts and I've heard that's common with stopwatches.

Good luck, again;)

Cheers, Chris

8. VintageTime Mar 1, 2017

Yes, minute recprder is a problem...
    I tried quite hard with levers - no move at all :(
    I will try like you say maybe tomorrow, I would really like to remove it safely.

9. VintageTime Mar 4, 2017

j.allen there is no corrosion...

10. j.allen Mar 4, 2017

From here it does, but perhaps it's dried lubricant. You can see better than me. 350757-38edfa1c6a25446fbd62257aedf094cc.jpg