Forums Latest Members
  1. maxomega2500 Mar 14, 2016

I just got a Omega cal-2500 about two weeks from a online shop and encountered power reserve issue. it stops about 33 hours even I manually wound it about 30-40 times. the manual says it can stand for 48 hours.

my questions:
    is it a common issue seen on a brand new watch like Omega? I’m thinking to get a replacement, but not sure if they will honor it, the online stop seems have very restrict terms for exchange/replacement.

any advice appreciated, so frustrated :(

Thanks.
    Max

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 14, 2016

Who did you buy it from? Was it new or used? Does it have papers?

3. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Mar 14, 2016

I'm far from being expert on expectations for watch performance but I do know that when a manufacturer specifies a certain power reserve, it's actually a minimum value and you will likely get even more time on a full wind. So getting 33 hours from a cal-2500 doesn't sound like a good thing.

You're faced with the dilemma that comes with buying from a non-authorized outlet. It's unlikely you'll be happy with the response from your vendor if you try to return the watch or have it repaired at their cost. If it were my watch and I had purchased it new from a reasonably reputable grey-market dealer, I'd hold on to it for a while to see what happens performance-wise and if the problem persists, take the watch to a good watch maker for evaluation and possible repair. Even if you end up spending say $300-$500 for a repair, you're still way ahead of the game cost-wise compared to the cost of buying from an authorized dealer or Omega Botique.

4. maxomega2500 Mar 14, 2016

brand new, jomashop, as you know, no manufacture warranty as a fact of buying from grey.

5. maxomega2500 Mar 14, 2016

thanks for your input,
    I felt the same, however I'm really surprised to see a brand new Omega has such basic issue :( or it's not a genuine Omega at all ... :(( ).
    the dealer provides 3 years warranty, so I think they should honor the service at least, I know it would be extremely hard to ask for a replacement from the online store, even though they should.

6. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Mar 15, 2016

30-40 turns on the crown for that calibre of movement is not enough to wind it fully.

You need at least 75+ turns for a full wind, and while on some calibres you can feel the full wind state when the mainspring bridle slips on the barrel walls, it's difficult to sense on this one.

Wind it fully, try for 100 turns, note the date and time, put the watch on a dresser or somewhere you can check on it now and then, let it run till it stops, note the date and time and see the PR time.

Rob

Doc Savage and Cosd like this.
  7. maxomega2500 Mar 15, 2016

Hi, Rob:
    I called the jomashop customer service, the manager blame me I over wind the watch when I told him I may wind 60 times ( actually I moved my index finger 60 times which doesn't mean 60 turns).
    100 turns? It sound a lot , is it safe to wind it 100 times? Really don't want to turn a poor power resever issue to a broken mainspring :)
    I really hope it's the case like you said, it will give me a peaceful mind and save a lot of troubles. I packed the shipping box last night for return already. But want to give another try. Thanks so much for your advice, can you please confirm 100 times of full turns on this watch is needed and safe?

Max

8. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Mar 15, 2016

Hello Max,

There is no such thing as 'overwinding' a watch, whoever told you this is not knowledgeable about watches.

This is an automatic and when it reaches full wind, the mainspring clutch will slip, when you wear the watch and it winds automatically this is the same thing that happens. So you have to make sure it's fully wound, and that means lots of turns on the crown...

If you want to really know the power reserve you need to fully wind and see how long it runs. Wind it at least 70 turns, 100 is better, and try the test I suggested.

Robn

Doc Savage and maxomega2500 like this.
  9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 15, 2016

There is no harm in winding it 60 times, 100 times, or 200 times...the mainspring won't break from you doing this.

Can I ask what actual watch this is? Do you know what version of the 2500 is inside? Some early versions had problems with stopping before the power reserve is out, and if you wound it 40 times and then wore the watch for a day say, it should have been fully wound when you took it off unless you are extremely inactive.

If you don;t know what version of the movement is in the watch, you can PM me the serial number and I'll look it up for you. The vendor you bought from is sort of known for not being much help if there is a problem with the watch, so although I'm sure he knows enough about watches to know that you can't overwind it, he's hoping you don't know enough and accept that this is your fault...

Cheers, Al

Doc Savage and maxomega2500 like this.
  10. maxomega2500 Mar 15, 2016

Appreciate!!!! Will try tonight

Max

11. maxomega2500 Mar 15, 2016

12. maxomega2500 Mar 15, 2016

Hi Al:
    This is the one I got:

Omega De Ville Prestige Silver Dial Stainless Steel Automatic Men's Watch 424.10.37.20.02.002

Yes you're right about the vendor, he tried to scare me on over winding the watch and I was :( . He also blamed me on not reading manual. But there is no detail info on manual at all. Anyway, hope it's just simply not winding enough.

Thanks for your input!

Max

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 15, 2016

Can't tell you much without knowing the version of the 2500 inside...need the serial number for that.

14. maxomega2500 Mar 15, 2016

please check your msg box, Archer, thanks.

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 15, 2016

Your watch has a 2500D according to the Omega Extranet. This is the most reliable version of the 2500 there is. Let us know how the tests work out.

16. maxomega2500 Mar 15, 2016

thanks Archer. great, it's a genuine Omega :thumbsup:
    Okay, I don't know if I still can type after winding 100 times ::screwloose::
    will keep you posted. finger crossed.

17. maxomega2500 Mar 15, 2016

so 40 turns give me about 33 hours, then 60 turns should yield 48 hours power. then 75 will do the work for sure.
    I will try 75 first as suggested by Rob and see.

18. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Mar 15, 2016

Hoping for a report from you about 49 hours from now :)

p.s. -- I can see the watch in your Avatar. It's a great-looking watch.

19. maxomega2500 Mar 15, 2016

at work now, have to wait for 6 hours to run the test.
    yes, I like it too, besides it's a birthday gift from my lovely wife, ought to be good ;)

20. maxomega2500 Mar 15, 2016

Started, oh man it took me 15 minutes to turn 75 times, and it became very tight and hard to turn anymore. My index finger is really hurt now.