Forums Latest Members
  1. Co-axial Sep 13, 2018

I don't always wear my watch daily. Rather than getting a watch winder and wearing out movement, iwouldratherwind up watch and reset it.

However, if i have to unscrew crown on my Rolex Oyster Perpetual 39 watch and wind it, up to three times a week will i:

1) Damage screw thread and seal when winding over time?
    2) Will i over time compromise water resistance from constantly screwing in and out crown?

I plan to service watch every five years. The watch is new from AD.

2. time flies Sep 13, 2018

There are plenty of threads on this forum offering all sorts of thoughts on the "will the winder wear it out or not" notion. I believe the later. I believe as well you stand a better chance of cross threading the crown threads or just beating it up (if you are indeed doing it 3x a week) than the winder has in "wearing out" the movement. Just a thought. It's not what I do for a living. Me? I would get a winder or start wearing the watch. Again though, it's not what I do. Nor is it my watch.

have fun
    kfw

Edit...or start wearing the watch

Edited Sep 13, 2018
    Co-axial likes this.
  3. Co-axial Sep 13, 2018

I wonder what Mr Archer thinks?

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 14, 2018

Using a winder or using the crown are both going to add wear and tear, so if you are particularly rough with how you handle the crown, get winder. If you are very careful with the crown, wind it when needed. There's no magic sauce involved, so just make a choice and go with it.

Cheers, Al

Co-axial and Waltesefalcon like this.
  5. kcool Sep 14, 2018

Al, I send you a PM.

Thanks,

Keith

6. Co-axial Sep 14, 2018

Much appreciated for your advice. I have ordered an Orbita Sparta 1 bold single unit for $295 or £229 in UK pounds. This is from a UK authorised seller on the Orbita website. I read in previous threads you like Orbita.

Edited Sep 14, 2018