Forums Latest Members

Help needed - Zenith striking 10th LE

1. omegaaddict Mar 1, 2017

Hi all,

I have the opportunity to buy this zenith locally for below $4500. Pics and all seem legit but from what I can tell the price seems a bit too good to be true?

Would appreciate any input you guys have on this as I'm not too familiar with zenith.

A tri color el primero has long been on my list of wants!

IMG_3918.JPG

IMG_3920.JPG

IMG_3921.JPG

nygiants likes this.
  2. omegaaddict Mar 1, 2017

Something I noticed which is odd that all the numbers on the card match those on the watch... except for the LE number...

Foo2rama and Nobel Prize like this.
  3. akshayluc420 Mar 1, 2017

Maybe a mixup from Zenith or Rivoli? I'm in Dubai too, and Zenith is officially represented by Rivoli. Perhaps a visit to the boutique may be order?

4. omegaaddict Mar 1, 2017

Pleasure to make your acquaintance!
    Yes ideally I'll be meeting at a boutique. However, not sure how helpful they'll be.

A) watch was sold 5 years ago
    B) boutiques are only so helpful. Yesterday I went into a Rolex boutique as was selling my Explorer II and the buyer wanted it verified and all they did was give it a quick external once over and say it looked legit from the outside.

5. akshayluc420 Mar 1, 2017

If it's not a distress sale, maybe an email to the folks at Zenith could clear things up?

The Striking 10th is a crazy brilliant watch, I hope it all works out in your favour!

semper_shells likes this.
  6. omegaaddict Mar 1, 2017

I'll be meeting the seller in Dubai mall. Hopefully the zenith boutique is able to clarify things further

7. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 1, 2017

looks perfectly legit, and as you note, a very good price

ELV web likes this.
  8. omegaaddict Mar 1, 2017

Except for the issue of mis matching LE numbers on card and case back...

9. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 1, 2017

I can't bring myself to care about that. It's some kind of paperwork glitch, and it wouldn't stop me from saving about two large.

10. omegaaddict Mar 1, 2017

Yea I basically agree with you.

Will meet seller at the zenith boutique and do my final due diligence and hopefully seal the deal

11. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 1, 2017

I have the non striking ten and it's one of my absolute favorites, that said definitely get it verified because that paperwork glitch is not something to ignore. It's the first time I see it anyway.

12. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 1, 2017

I'm genuinely curious what importance you attach to it. The watch is out of guarantee, and obviously authentic. The cost savings is far in excess of what a paperwork inconsistency would demand. What consequence do you see here?

Incidentally, I agree with your assessment of the watch!

13. wristpirate Mar 1, 2017

A box and papers "full set" is sure nice to have, but adds only a small amount of value. The market prices in the fact that papers (or plastic in this case) are easy to fabricate. Plus its pretty hard to wear the papers.

14. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 1, 2017

Typically "box and papers" specially papers are only significant if they match the watch. Otherwise either they are of no value...Or like a rare stamp they are exceptional as an anomaly.

Could be the watch is authentic and the papers fake....Could be the watch is fake or a franken and that's why they don't match, could be an error....Either way I'd like to have some guarantee or explanation.

Given the price of the watch, which is low for a striking ten, I would definitely want to verify.

Papers are supposed to be an added guarantee....The wrong papers , on anything, to me, is worse than no papers.

15. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 1, 2017

I understand your concern in the abstract, but in this particular case, does the watch look like a fake or franken?

If the papers turn out to be of no value, is the watch a bad deal?

can you solve your problem by throwing these papers out?

lando and STANDY like this.
  16. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 1, 2017

I never said that was the solution, I said I would check the watch thoroughly because nobody can give 100% assurance on pictures alone and if the price is low and papers don't match common sense would be have it authenticated. You can go to zenith into Aaron faber or an equivalent. Pay a little for it. Get piece of mind.

Advice was asked for, that's my advice, that's what I do with the pieces I buy that have any possible provenance doubt.

Edited Mar 1, 2017
  17. akshayluc420 Mar 2, 2017

Hey there! How did it go yesterday? I had a thought, if the watch was authentic and the papers a genuine error, does Zenith provide fresh & correct papers if you submit the incorrect card back to them? That would be a win-win

Nobel Prize likes this.
  18. omegaaddict Mar 2, 2017

Hi,

The meeting will occur Sunday.

I asked the seller a few more questions this morning which led him to disclose the discrepancy himself.

This was what he said

"There is one thing to point out, the limited edition number on the card is different from the one on the case, I already checked with Zenith boutique at dubai mall about it and they said its just a printing error. But they cant issue a new card since the system they have is changed but it could be authenticated through zenith website. I have not done that yet."

At this point I'm 99.9% sure the watch is authentic and there's no fowl play here. Just want to inspect it in person to see it's condition. Ask about a service history if any, and if possible have the boutique run the serial as a final verification

Nobel Prize likes this.
  19. omegaaddict Mar 6, 2017

Update:

Meeting went well. Turns out the watch is on a brand new strap with its receipt as well. So overall very pleased!

IMG_3979.JPG

IMG_3980.JPG

20. akshayluc420 Mar 6, 2017

Congratulations! Wear in good health :D