Forums Latest Members

Help needed: X-33 Skywalker backlight won't work?

1. sierra11b Jun 15, 2019

Just got the watch yesterday and fear it is in need of battery already. Total bummer.

So when I hit the bottom left pusher for the light I see nothing, and then it goes into 5 second EOL indication.

Is the light broken or is it just trying to save additional energy? And once the 5 second jump starts it's not in sync with the seconds for T1. I pull the crown out to reset the hands and the 5 second stops but still the seconds aren't in sync with the display. Go to hit the bottom left pusher for back light and it happens all over again.

Is this just a battery issue or potential lemon?

Edited Jun 15, 2019
  2. Texasjohn Jun 15, 2019

Sounds like a simple battery issue

3. drhex Jun 15, 2019

Battery empty, pop a new one in and it will work. Where did you get it from?

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 15, 2019

I’d have a proper place replace the battery for you. It’s not a exactly a strip mall watch battery replacement. Do you have a local Omega Boutique?

Mtnmansa likes this.
  5. drhex Jun 15, 2019

It isn‘t rocket science if you‘re a bit mechanically inclined. Just make sure you have the right screwdriver as the screws are soft and easily damaged. Omega may well want to do a proper service which is including way more than the battery.

6. sierra11b Jun 15, 2019

I am mechanically inclined but that’s not the point at this junction: It’s a fresh watch (out of state purchase via non OB AD) with fresh (literally) 3 day old dated warrant on the cards. I’ll let them make it right for now. Thanks all.

Foo2rama likes this.
  7. drhex Jun 15, 2019

If you have official warranty I‘d think you local OB would take care of it.

Foo2rama likes this.
  8. duc Jun 16, 2019

Depending on where you acquired it from, they may be no better at replacing the battery than a mall battery service. The battery is a few dollars. Once the cover is off, an internal cover (which is loose and sit over the o-ring) is exposed. Cleaning the o-ring and making sure it is seated properly, with the cover installed correctly is the part that takes attention. Also, there is a small spring in the movement that looks like it might fall out if the movement is turned upside down.

I'm only saying this because if a shop sold you a watch with a fresh warranty, and the battery died a couple days later, they probably didn't service the watch or may not have serviced it correctly. Either way it would make me think twice about giving it back to them for service.

9. stockae92 Jun 19, 2019

If it has proof of purchase at AD, maybe try to head to a OB and see if Omega would do a "good will" battery change, since the watch should basically be "new".

DIY battery is easy enough. But for a new purchase, it would kinda suck if you have to open up the case yourself and in a sense lose the watch resistant (until its pressure tested)

10. Donn Chambers Jun 19, 2019

Had something similar to my wife’s Aqua Terra when we bought it at the AD. As soon as he had seized it and set the time, I noticed the seconds hand was jumping with the EOL indicator — it must have been sitting in the showcase for awhile. He replaced the battery and all has been fine since.

It sucks you have to send it back to the AD right after purchasing it, but I’m sure they will make it right. If there is an Botique close, just take it to them, and I’m sure the’ll replace it for free as well.

11. sierra11b Jun 22, 2019

I sent it to the AD and they swapped the battery and pressure tested with their internal maker. Good overnight service both ways. Talked to their maker on the phone.

Opened the package and everything is fine! Backlight works and the second hands match the display. Great! He even reset UTC and T1/T2 the way I had them.

Then a couple hours later I look down and the second hand is 12 seconds slower than the display. What gives?

Obviously I’ll try my local OB but am now scared they won’t honor the warranty having been opened by the AD.

My excitement for the Skywalker is quickly fading into the dumpster.

Edited Jun 22, 2019
  12. Donn Chambers Jun 22, 2019

Did you synch the hands to the digital time following the instructions in the manual? I believe this has to be done every time the battery is swapped. The AD’s watchmaker may not have done that. If you did the procedure to synch and it is still off, it does sound like a faulty module and will need work by Omega. I expect they will honor the warranty since this is a quartz watch, and from a quick perusal of the web, a common fault on these watches.

Foo2rama likes this.
  13. sierra11b Jun 22, 2019

That may have worked as it’s in synch now. Followed the instructions on pg26 to line up all the hands to 12oclock which requires it to be in power saving mode.

Strange that it fell out of synch? I hadn’t played or set anything UNLESS I did casually pull the crown which caused the 12second offset of the seconds hand, because that’s how much I had to manually move the second hands in power saving mode to get it at the 12oclock position.

Why is synchronization a function? Is there any practical reason to manually offset the seconds, minute or hour hands? Because all that can be done individually in synch mode. I guess advancing the watch in one hour increments can act as another time zone?

14. drhex Jun 22, 2019

I *think* that the hands have no hard indexing but are just driven by a stepper motor. Advantage is that you can just set the hands any which way in manufacturing and sync them later. Disadvantage is that you have to teach the watch where the hands are pointing on power loss.

Foo2rama likes this.
  15. sierra11b Jun 22, 2019

Looks like I’ll finally be able to wear and enjoy :cool:

[​IMG]

16. jets Jun 30, 2019

I bought mine new and swatch group here in toronto swapped out the pushers and crown while replacing the battery to ensure water resistance.