Forums Latest Members

Help Needed with Seamaster Professional 2200.50.00 Planet Ocean 45.5mm

1. jeremyscott Apr 21, 2016

Dear Omega pros,

I need help! I really want to acquire the Seamaster Professional 2200.50.00 Planet Ocean 45.5mm. I'm a fan of the movement, the size and the look of this watch. There's one on for sale at a good rate on eBay that I'm following, but there's a scratch on the crystal and it looks rather worn on he case-back. Here's the link:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/152061509410?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Any thoughts? Would it be worth it to purchase and get the crystal replaced? At $2,500, it seems like a great deal. What are your gut feelings about this watch based on the photos and info listed?

Thanks!

2. rhj Apr 21, 2016

If you take it to wear, let the scratches and replace it later ...My opinion - sooner or later scratches will happen!

jeremyscott likes this.
  3. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Apr 21, 2016

I owned one of these, and sold it earlier this year.

I would look for a better price. You can call Omega and get a price for a crystal, but Omega will want to also service the watch, in other words, the won't just change the crystal. And this scratch looks too deep, so it may not be an AR scratch.

I think this one if the D version (I am not sure, but I think the serif 1 indicates this to be the case). So that is a plus. Mine was a C and I never had any issues.

Omega wanted $500 for a crystal for my Ploprof 1200. I don't think a crystal will cost that much, but certainly could be $300-400 for the crystal and then your in for $2800-900.

jeremyscott likes this.
  4. jeremyscott Apr 21, 2016

Got it. Thank you! I'm gonna hold off. How did you like the watch when you had it?

5. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Apr 21, 2016

I loved it. Really hated selling it, but it was not a great example, had a couple of issues. I wish they made a GMT in the 2500.

jeremyscott likes this.
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 22, 2016

They did, just not in a PO. They were in a couple of Seamasters and a bunch od DeVilles. Movement was a Cal. 2628.

Cheers, Al

7. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Apr 22, 2016

Should have said GMT in 2500 Planet Ocean.

I very much like the form factor of the 2500 PO. If it I did not own the two Ploprofs, I would have kept my POXL. I already own too many watches, so decided to sell the PO. Despite too many watches, if Omega had a decent GMT diver I would gladly buy one. The 8500 POs don't wear well for me given the thickness (width to height ratio).

The GMT I like is the Glashutte Original Sport.

8. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Apr 23, 2016

The crystal is 300 or so plus a new crystal ring I think like 12-15 plus someone to do it for you.

Plus I see the crown is scratched and the bottom edge of the case has some marks

9. g-boac Apr 23, 2016

This watch is a strong pass. NOS for $2500? Sure. But if you'd consider the work required to bring this back to like-new condition, the prices quoted above are a start. . .but you've also got additional cost items to consider (including a complete movement service), coupled with the fact that the original caseback is very worn (and if replacing, would then have a replacement caseback vice original). . .you're not looking at a bargain here.

Keep looking! These are great watches, and plenty of nice examples out there. I think you've certainly got your eye on a good watch, just not this one at this price.

10. hoppes-no9 Apr 23, 2016

Scratches on a sapphire crystal are damage, not normal wear and tear.