Forums Latest Members

Help needed to identify maker of vintage 321 Speedmaster dial

1. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jan 17, 2016

Regarding early Speedmaster 321 dials, MWO states (page 70), "The great majority, if not all of the dials were made by Jean SINGER & Co ........

Below are photos of what I believe is an early 321 dial back which appears to me made by a different maker. It has a marking of CB ? (not the case maker) or EB ?in 2 places of the dial back. There appears to be no "Singer" mark.

Anyone have any ideas regarding this marking; the dial maker? Any help greatly appreciated.

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Giff2577 likes this.
  2. M'Bob Jan 17, 2016

oddboy and Peemacgee like this.
  3. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jan 17, 2016

Not likely. She's endorsed IWC.

4. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 17, 2016

::popcorn::

Baz9614 likes this.
  5. M'Bob Jan 17, 2016

From Cate: "Piss on Mr. Handlebar for outing me. Before my acting career got on its feet, I did a short stint at Singer and Co. where I worked finishing dials for Speedmasters and other watches. Feeling a lack of appreciation at work, and with my acting work stalled, I got some minor measure of vindication signing those dials under the nose of my superiors. I would appreciate it if you kept this from the IWC people, yet, at this point (and not to sound like a typical ego-maniacal starlet), I think my career will survive if you don't. Cheers gents."

Giff2577, Northernman and CdnWatchDoc like this.
  6. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 17, 2016

Would the dial side help?

7. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jan 17, 2016

No

8. The Master of Speed Jan 18, 2016

post a front photo

9. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jan 18, 2016

Here you go, flat dial, appears redone or degraded through the years, fonts appear to match those found on early 321 dials, round O in Omega, SWISS MADE missing. Emblem missing. Opinions? Still would like to know the origins of the rear trademarks. Thanks.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

10. wsfarrell Jan 18, 2016

Might Centrale Boites have made dials in addition to cases?

gemini4 likes this.
  11. Davidt Jan 18, 2016

Can't imagine it being la centrale boîtes, the stamp is completely different.

Could it also be EB?

Edit. Apologies, you've already suggested eb.

gemini4 likes this.
  12. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jan 19, 2016

Bump. Anyone else with an idea or theory about this dial? I'll throw out mine for review.

Naturally, as the dial hasn't arrived yet, I've been analyzing these pictures for hours, well at least two hours.
    And I've been comparing it to the earliest 2915 321 dials as displayed in Moonwatch Only.....especially the photo of the first Speedie dial, the A1, 2915-1 dial found on page 78.

It is certainly wishful thinking on my part BUT I don't see very many differences between this dial layout and that of the A1. Perhaps the center line of the 3 in 30 on the 3 o'clock register is a bit off. One of the 2's is a bit different, maybe. The connection between the S and M, a little off. I've measured, roughly, the OMEGA in the A1 and this dial and they appear to match. The font and scrip of Omega and Speedmaster look the same. As do the numbers. I invite members to study the two dials as well.

What I do know ( or think I know) is this. The dial strongly resembles the original Speedmaster bezel, the A1. It is not produced on the correct dial base, ( not a Singer) but was produced by another, as yet unknown manufacturer. I have been advised that the legs are strange looking as well. It is missing the SWISS MADE and the Omega emblem appears to have never been applied. The surface also is flaking off of the brass dial base. I think when you add up all of these factors, this is indicative of a dial that could have been created Pre Production, before the actual Singer 2915-1, A1 production dial.

And of course there is a name for an object with these credentials and it is called a Prototype.

Opinions??