Forums Latest Members
  1. niceguyeddy Dec 26, 2016

Hi guys

This is my first post here and I hope everyone had a Blessed Christmas.

I am looking to purchase a vintage Omega Constellation from a seller and I need some of your expert help in verifying if this is the real deal - in terms of dial, case etc. I tried researching for this model online but i can't seem to find any pictures of it.

- Is this a redial?
    - Is the dial an original but was swapped from another model and placed in a stainless steel case?
    - Is everything original on this watch?

Here are some pictures of the watch in question:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thank you very much for your kind help. Appreciate it!

2. werdna77 Dec 26, 2016

Well, I am no expert by any means but a look over your photos I feel it is an ok dial and configuration. Did you get any movement/inside shots? And inside case back?

3. Edward53 Dec 27, 2016

I like it. Even in those poor quality pictures, it has "the look" of an untouched watch and dial. Is this a private or a business seller? Google Omega Constellation 561 and you will find lots of similar images.

4. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Dec 27, 2016

I've rarely seen such jazzed up photos
    it's very shiny for an untouched watch - so much light bouncing around it's difficult to tell the proper shape of the case
    as it is sitting on a display stand I presume it is from a dealer - what did the seller tell you about the watch?

5. MPWATCH Watch Lover Dec 27, 2016

Who is the seller? What is the history behind it? Ask him where it was acquired? (Not that it means much, but if he's honest you'll be ahead of the game, if he lies, you still need to do your homework on the piece)

As @Peemacgee has stated, the photos seem heavy in shadowing...common practice for a dealer trying to pass a long a piece with no return policy that has a done up dial.. I'd ask for clear, focused, non reflective photos. Maybe even ask for the crystal to be removed when being photographed if your second run of photos do not suffice.

Better to be sure now, then to find out bad news later!

Looking forward to your updated photos for further assessment - Too tough to make a call with given photos (course I am a rookie so others may be able to step up and give you the information needed based on the OP photos)

Best,

Thomas

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 27, 2016

The seller needs to turn off the camera flash when taking pictures. That's what causing the lighting issues.

Pictures are horrible, but as noted above, the configuration is good for an early 2nd generation (1959-1962) Constellation. Bracelet fits nocely and crown is the more desired 10-sided version and is a thinner original.

Whether everything else matches up, I have no clue.

Need pictures of the movement and inside of the caseback to even be close to an idea.

If the seller won't give you more information, and the price is well under market (under $750), it may be worth taking a chance on "as-is" if you like to gamble.
    gatorcpa

chronos likes this.
  7. omegastar Dec 27, 2016

Try to googgle Ref. 14393 and you will be able to compare.

8. WatchWarlock Dec 27, 2016

Is it just me? Or does anyone else think the Automatic Chronometer and Swiss Made is a tad too fat/sloppy?

niceguyeddy likes this.
  9. niceguyeddy Dec 27, 2016

Wow guys!
    Thanks for the great responses. I'll try to ask if the seller has movement pictures. The seller has more knowledge on modern pieces and not so much on vintage pieces. But he claims that everything is original on it.

What my concerns are:
    Are gold indicies and stainless steel case correct standard issue? Or was the dial and case swapped?

Thanks again! You guys are great!

10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 28, 2016

Gold indices and medallion were used on earlier pieces (closer to 1959).
    gatorcpa