Forums Latest Members

Help needed: Omega "Seamaster De Ville" genuine or FAKE/refurbished?

1. JazzBox Apr 10, 2017

Was anyway a good watch in the 60's? Which Seamaster are best to buy?

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 10, 2017

I would not do that without expert advice prior to putting your money down.

If you think white dial Omegas are equivalent to a tripping hazard, then black dials are a minefield.

Dr No, hoipolloi, JazzBox and 2 others like this.
  3. JazzBox Apr 10, 2017

Thank you very much for your advices!

At the end, if you think that € 600 is an ok price... I was quite lucky with this watch!

4. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Apr 10, 2017

Redialers are doing better jobs everyday and I hate to see newbees paying big bucks for refurbished dials as original.

Yes, and extremely careful with black dials + cross hairs.

Dr No and JazzBox like this.
  5. JazzBox Apr 10, 2017

So, just to summarize: the watch (case, glass, crown etc...) should be original and the dial should be restored or repainted?

Thank you!

6. slique12 Apr 10, 2017

Should not be restored or repainted. Unless it is disclosed before the sale is made, and you are ok knowing it is a redial, and you pay a fair price. The originality and condition of the dial is what drives at least 50% of the value of a vintage watch.

7. Dr No Apr 10, 2017

JazzBox and hoipolloi like this.
  8. JazzBox Apr 10, 2017

Excuse me, my english is not perfect. I mean: is it my watch all original? Is it the dial restored or repainted?
    Thank you!

9. JazzBox Apr 10, 2017

10. TNTwatch Apr 11, 2017

I did a quick survey on Google Images and found a lot, if not a plurality, of the Seamaster DeVille with the 6xx series movements showing the wide spaced Swiss Made. This wide spaced Swiss Made are also on quite a few other models as well.
    That S and r style did belong to the 50s, and this is only the second known example on a SD, but the come back of this particular S and r style is not unprecedented at all. In the Speedmaster line, this exact style first and only appeared on the 2915s in the late 50s, but it came back a decade later on a couple of rare editions: the racing dial 145.012 and the solid gold Apollo XI 1969.

The chance that the OP's and the one in the previous thread came from the same redialer is very remote. The chance that that redialer could dig up some old 1950s scripting style then marry it up with a DeVille dial template of a decade later, well, is even more remote.

The lume dots also show the spongy texture appearance indicating older application, so the dial could not be a recent refinish. Only because there are not many of this example around, I think it's fair to say that this could be an unconfirmed original dial variance. And definitely not a confirmed redial. :)

Same S and r style, a decade apart:
    Screenshot_20170411-020438.png
    Screenshot_20170411-015120.png Screenshot_20170411-015145.png

JazzBox likes this.
  11. JazzBox Apr 11, 2017

Come on! (EDIT: my wife said that "come on" does not have the same meaning as in italian: in italian is like "great, yeah", she say that in english is like "what are you saying", so EXCUSE ME for my bad english, I just wanted to say "wow, that's a great news!")

At the end I still hope that my watch is all genuine (in that case was 600€ a fair price? What would worth it if it was original?) but anyway this watch - thanks to you all - taught me a lot about Seamasters and buying online!

Edited Apr 11, 2017
  12. TNTwatch Apr 11, 2017

Probably not a bad price in Europe and from a dealer. If you want better price, you'd have to know what you're looking for then hunt for it from auctions or private sellers.

Also check out sold listings on eBay for the same watches in similar condition (then add shipping and duties/taxes).

ConElPueblo likes this.
  13. JazzBox Apr 11, 2017

Thank you very much to you all! I'm really thankful for your huge and kind help!

14. JazzBox Apr 11, 2017

EDIT: my wife said that "come on" does not have the same meaning as in italian: in italian is like "great, yeah", she say that in english is like "what are you saying", so EXCUSE ME for my bad english, I just wanted to say "wow, that's a great news!")

TNTwatch likes this.