Forums Latest Members
  1. NVWC Aug 3, 2018

Dear all,
    I am a newbie here and was looking around to get my 1st vintage omega.

Would like to get some opinion here regarding the following watches:

Watch No. 1 photos. Price around 550 pounds.
    View attachment 601403 View attachment 601404 View attachment 601409 View attachment 601406 View attachment 601407

Watch No. 2 photos Price around 600 pounds
    Screenshot_20180803-165813_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20180803-165742_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20180803-165806_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20180803-165754_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20180803-165244_Chrome.jpg

Some questions from the experts here as well.
    Is it advisable to buy watches ( my 1st vintage watch) from the members in this forum instead rather than other websites ( ebay etc...) at least till i know a little more about watches.

Thank you very much.

Screenshot_20180803-165748_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20180803-165258_Chrome.jpg
  2. ConElPueblo Aug 3, 2018

For some reason the pictures of the first watch doesn't show up, but if it is in the same league as the second one, I wouldn't bother.

Where to purchase from is a good question - pros and cons exist with all options. Buying here will, IMO, be your "safest" option re. authenticity and so on, but the selection isn't as big as with dealers or eBay and prices tend to be in the mid to high bracket. On eBay (or similar) there is a huge selection, potentially great deals, but very little safety. With dealers... Well, it could go both ways. It will, no matter what, be expensive.

To begin with, you'll need to decide if you want to spend a lot of time on this or a lot of money ;)

Noddyman, Davidt and Nathan1967 like this.
  3. NVWC Aug 3, 2018

Hi ConEIPueblo,

Thank you very much for your input.
    I guess i will have to spend more time on this. Was trying to have a good start on this, at least trying to minimised my chances of being scammed. Screenshot_20180803-172900_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20180803-172933_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20180803-172907_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20180803-172939_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20180803-172933_Samsung Internet.jpg

I will try to load the photos for the 1st watch again.

Here you go:

Screenshot_20180803-172914_Samsung Internet.jpg
  4. Dan S Aug 3, 2018

The photos appear to be all mixed up, since I'm seeing at least two different crowns and more than one type of lugs. So it's hard to give the OP any useful advice. But I'm not seeing anything that I like.

It might be a good idea for the OP to do some research himself, by reading lots of threads on this forum instead of just doing a massive disorganized data dump. And when he does ask questions, it will be better for him to make his posts in a thoughtful and careful way, with specific questions. Otherwise, I think the members here may get tired of trying to sort through the mess.

Tony C. and Davidt like this.
  5. TexOmega Aug 3, 2018

One watch at a time, great pix and many of them with specific questions,

The above AFTER using google and google images and reading this forum till your eyes turn red and you twitch alot. That's what's called sweat equity and how we all started. No shortcuts other than paying someone else(THE COLLECTOR/DEALER) for all THEIR time and efforts finding you a watch you like.

We are here to keep you pointed in the right direction, but help us help you.

Welcome, there are a few threads on all the DUDS we all purchased when we were getting started, that's what we call THE NOOB TAX or what educators call A DEGREE.

Most of all, have fun

felsby likes this.
  6. ConElPueblo Aug 3, 2018

@NVWC, it is not that the watches you're finding aren't genuine, it's more that they are very expensive for their rarity and condition. If I was you, I'd start out by

a) setting a budget.
    b) finding out what you want of your vintage watch:
    1) brand.
    2) period of manufacture.
    3) features (sub-second? textured/coloured dial?)
    4) condition (should it be serviced, does it need to be in pristine condition throughout, etc.)

And from that I'd then note down the references of the watches you find attractive. The reference number is on the inside of the caseback (ie. 2759 / 2761 on one of the above) and can be used in google searches. Look at pictures matching the serial and post on internet fora concerning the reference (go for Omegaforums.net hits in particular) and you'll start getting a picture of whether or not the watch is correctly described and/or reasonably priced...

This isn't a particularly fast way of finding a vintage watch, but neither does it take a lot of effort or commitment. It certainly doesn't require spending as much time on vintage watches as the geeks on here (those are the other guys, not me :D ) have spent mastering this stuff.

Above all - as @TexOmega rightly says, have fun!

Best,
    Troels.

BenBagbag, Dan S and ChrisN like this.
  7. NVWC Aug 3, 2018

Thank you very much for all the precious opinion.
    Will keep on looking and try to learn as much as possible along the way.

My own thought on my 1st watch:
    Budget: up to 600GBP
    Brand: Omega, IWC, JLC, Tudor ( offcourse i need to learn more on which brand i really wanted by at least studying their history etc).
    Period of manufacture: 50s to 70s
    Features: Not looking at specific features...more of how I like the look of the watch ( example I like the Omega seamaster/ constellation/ de ville more than speedmaster)
    Condition: Doesnt have to be pristine, prefers original untouched ones...

Once again thank you very much for all the comments

8. Edward53 Aug 5, 2018

For that budget you are realistically looking at Seamasters. Any good Constellation or De Ville chrono will be well over £600. I can't advise on the other brands as I don't know them, but where Omega is concerned, in your shoes I would look for something along the lines of a nice SS Seamaster. Assuming that you are in the UK, here are a couple of recently ended ebay items that might have fitted the bill.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/323371975437?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l10137Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network (went for £565)
    [​IMG]
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/163172335635?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l10137Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network (went for £525. There were some knocks on the case and crown but the pros outweighed the cons.)
    [​IMG]

The dial on the first Chrono24 one you posted is well knackered and the movement is not that brilliant either. For your budget you don't have to accept that low level of condition. Anyway a learner looking on Chronic24 is a pink fluffy rabbit looking to find something nice in a wild wood full of foxes. Ebay is actually a better bet IMO, just make sure to look at auctions and not BINs.

9. NVWC Aug 5, 2018

Hi Edward35,

Thank you very much for your valuable input.
    I like the 2nd one you posted.
    I prefer leather strap with stainless steel case.

Was looking at Chrono24 because I thought watches offered by dealers there will have less chance of being a fake/ franken watch. Offcourse this will come with higher cost as well...as rightly pointed by other OF members.

By the way, I am from Asia.

10. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 5, 2018

Don't believe that for a minute. Watch the private watch sales forum here. That's where you'll find the watches least likely to be frankened.

11. NVWC Aug 5, 2018

Will do. Thank you very much

12. Edward53 Aug 6, 2018

I considered bidding on the second one, but I already have a Seamaster chronometer with bumper movement and I can't justify getting another.

Some superb watches have been posted on this forum, as well as - which is just as important - examples of fakes, frankenwatches, redials, poor condition watches etc. The more time you spend looking carefully at these, the more discriminating you become and the better your chances of finding something good for yourself.

13. NVWC Aug 6, 2018

Hi Edward53,

Yes, I was going through some of the threads and posts in OF. One particular one by Troels, written few years back on how to assess an Omega vintage watch..thats brilliant!
    Offcourse also found a thread on what a newbie need to do first when we try to post/ask opinion on a watch, rather than just posting it without putting in any effort.
    My apology on that, didn't see that before posited mine .

Anyway, thank you very much for your suggestions. Will keep on learning as well as searching for my 1st vintage watch.