Forums Latest Members
  1. dhalpern Dec 17, 2012

I have an Omega constellation (see pics) which is in pretty good condition. I am just looking to make a couple changes to it and was hoping to get advice from experts on this site about how to go about some of the changes.

Info: cal 551; Case 14381.

1) I would like to get an original 10 sided crown, but all places that I have been to (in NYC) have told me they cant get them. I know they dont produce those crowns, but I would have thought you could get it through the back channel.

2) Looking for an original Omega buckle , where the Omega symbol is raised.

3) As you can tell from the picture, some of the gold in the observatory is melted down. Is there any way to fix this?

Any suggestions/recommendations of places to go (in NY) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! omega4.JPG omega1.JPG omega2.JPG

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 17, 2012

Hate to say it but this watch does sort of need one of everything, the dial has been worked as well, and whichever watchmaker put those lume dots on top of the arrowhead markers like that needs his loupe confiscated. The case has been polished very hard.

3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 17, 2012

Best place to find the buckle and crown would be eBay, they are not that hard to find there.

The case back is a lost cause, replacement medallions are not available.

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 17, 2012

As long as you need a new case and or back, you may as well watch eBay for that too. You will need to be patient though until what you need comes along. Also remember there are fake crowns and buckles being sold there, so you have to know what you are buying. On top of this, you are not the only one needing and looking for these items.

5. ulackfocus Dec 17, 2012

The easiest way to fix all that's wrong with this watch, and there's a laundry list of problems, is to simply buy another watch - but this time a correct one.

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 17, 2012

+1

Brutal honesty, now that's what I like. :thumbsup:

7. dhalpern Dec 17, 2012

Its appreciated. This is helpful, thanks all for your posts.

Movement works fine- does this watch have any value?

Thanks.

8. ulackfocus Dec 17, 2012

As parts - yes. A caliber 551 in good condition would sell for $125 minimum, and probably more.

The rest of the watch........ um....... well...... no. However, there are lots of n00bs on eBay that might buy it. (sorry to say that but it is a consideration)

9. dhalpern Dec 17, 2012

Thanks, I think I would rather keep it in my collection than sell it on ebay knowing the issues. My conscience isn't that cheap, haha.