Forums Latest Members

Help needed for a novice determining this ~54 Seamaster automatic

1. Hans_Gruber Aug 16, 2017

Hello everyone,

As a newcomer to this glorious hobby and since I've hunting for a vintage Seamaster dresswatch, I came across this one which tempts me. I hope you could advise if it seems a good buy or if I should stay away. I've tried to seach and research and look for any misgivings, but my untrained eye just doesn't catch it.

Specs: 491 movement with 14815484 reference, 34mm steel case. I do like the design and especially the patina, even though initially I was looking for one without the sub-seconds hand. Help much appreciated!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Hans_Gruber Aug 18, 2017

Anyone? Here's an additional photo:
    [​IMG]

3. BenBagbag Aug 18, 2017

I like the patina on that one a lot too. Everything checks out with yours. Hard to tell with lighting but the movement may be a bit worn. It comes down to price. Do you feel like it is a fair price? (Usually dealer photos = dealer prices ;))

I have a 491 that is very similar to this one (Same hands, different indices).

IMG-20170627-WA0068.jpg

4. Hans_Gruber Aug 18, 2017

Thanks for the help! I also didn't see any red flags, but then again I'm a novice in this. Dealer is reputable over here in Finland and is asking 550 euros, which I think is reasonable, although there is still the open question of the condition of the movement. Should get more information and additional photos next week.
    [​IMG]

5. Timmert Aug 18, 2017

It looks nice, I agree that the patina doesn't detract from this watch at all. It's nice and evenly spread across the dial.
    At that price, I would consider it as well!
    Keep in mind that the cost of a possible movement service can be quite high in relation to that selling price.

6. Hans_Gruber Aug 18, 2017

I'm a bit concerned about the service cost as well, hope it won't be too much. But that patina...! :)

7. Hans_Gruber Aug 21, 2017

Got some new info and photos. The dealer says the watch runs alright, but recommends a service if it will be in daily use. He clarified that the watch is also hand winding and hacking (was unsure about this). Also, as I was afraid, there is an engraving on the backside. He says it can me removed, but the case will naturally be a little thinner after that. What do you guys think? thumbnail_WP_20170820_17_34_53_Pro.jpg thumbnail_WP_20170820_17_34_15_Pro.jpg

8. BenBagbag Aug 21, 2017

I think you mean automatic. I believe hacking refers to whether the seconds hand stops when the time is being set.

Collector's will say not to polish it. If you can't live with it you can polish it out but know that usually means you have altered the watch. Unpolished is the way to go IMO. It's part of the history of the watch! What does it say?

9. Hans_Gruber Aug 21, 2017

Yes that what he said also; the seconds hand stops when setting the time. I just wanted to know if the automatic movement can be hand wound (e.g. when taking the watch for use after being unworn for some time).

I wouldn't want to alter the watch, but the engraving just sort of reminds that it's (been) someone else's; which of course goes without saying with vintage watches. I wouldn't mind if I (or my dad etc) was somehow connected to the story the engraving tells. It says "members of the choir".

10. BenBagbag Aug 21, 2017

To clarify, the 491 is not a hacking movement. The seconds hand doesn't stop when you pull out the crown. I have this watch and I can tell you that for sure.