Forums Latest Members

Help Needed: aftermarket clasp from ABP Concept

1. gostang9 Apr 1, 2019

Hi all,

I bought a gorgeous custom leather strap from ABP Concept / ABP Paris. I got it in 18mm end with black with red accent stitching + backing with the intention of wearing it on my ST2 Ultraman. I ended up liking it much more on my Heuer Autavia Pre-Viceroy but unfortunately the aftermarket clasp it came with keeps opening up while I'm wearing it.

Questions (any and all help greatly appreciated!)::thumbsup:

1. Is there some kind of adjustment I'm not aware of that makes it fasten "tighter" so it won't inadvertently open up? If so, please let me know how to adjust... (I have read about aftermarket clasps before and this problem of opening up on their own, I tried in vain to search the topic here but came up empty :thumbsdown:)

2. Is there another brand of aftermarket clasp anyone has that works very well? Please be as specific as possible on what/where/model/PN etc so I can order on.

3. I am aware that Omega clasps are "different" somehow and that straps have to be custom ordered with that "difference" so they'll fit and/or work. What is this difference?

Here is a picture of the watch I very much want to wear with this strap but cannot as it won't stay closed...

Heuer Autavia 1163 Pre-Vicroy 1.jpg Heuer Autavia 1163 Pre-Vicroy 2.jpg Heuer Autavia 1163 Pre-Vicroy 3.jpg Heuer Autavia 1163 Pre-Vicroy 4.jpg Heuer Autavia 1163 Pre-Vicroy 5.jpg

2. alam Apr 1, 2019

have you tried reaching out the manufacturer for suggestions on how to adjust? perhaps a faulty mechanism?

here's a nice sketch posted by @savio.79 showing the required "specs" for a strap to fit a 20/18 Omega deployant clasp..

that was a good move!! :thumbsup: I like it!

gostang9 and Foo2rama like this.
  3. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Apr 1, 2019

I think you should email ABP, give them feedback, ask them the question, and perhaps ask them to ship a new clasp.
    They are a high end provider- whatever hardware they provide should work well, and I would think they will do their best to help.

PS - I’ve had the same problem with a Camille Fournet strap, and they realized the reason was that the strap was too thick and because I have a small wrist the two thick pieces would not roll well around my wrist. So the tension of the strap itself kept pulling on the clasp.
    The only way to resolve it was that they had to redo the strap entirely— but make it thinner so that the two pieces would “agree” to flex, and follow the shape of the clasp.

Edited Apr 1, 2019
    gostang9, ext1, MikiJ and 1 other person like this.
  4. Huus Apr 1, 2019

I recently bought a couple of double fold over clasps of RHD deployant clasps of Bob Davis at mywatchmaker.net and the quality is great with the locking mechanism design being very solid. I have tried some other brands but Bob's custom made clasps are by far the best I have experienced. Service and delivery quick, efficient and friendly.

Archer likes this.
  5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 2, 2019

I second this recommendation, and I have one 18 mm RHD deployant here in the shop, so when gostang9 is up my way next time, bring that strap along and we'll give it a try...

Als 27, gostang9 and Huus like this.
  6. queriver Apr 2, 2019

I recall someone telling me double-butterfly clasps can be temperamental with thick straps. Firstly I would test the deployant with a thinner strap. It might be that all 4 pins aren't always engaging securely in the holes due to the thickness of the overlapping straps, and the clasp pops open.

gostang9 likes this.
  7. Braindrain Apr 2, 2019

Another shout out for RHD. Cheap deployants can snap open if the strap is too thick. Bob's deployants take a thicker strap much more easily. The locking mech is also different from the cheapies.

gostang9 likes this.
  8. gostang9 Apr 2, 2019

I have now with the advice on this thread. Will update if/when they respond. (I assumed it was something obvious I might be missing...)

Thank you! :thumbsup:

I thought so too! That is, until it kept popping open... and I started to worry I might lose the watch... :thumbsdown:

alam likes this.
  9. gostang9 Apr 2, 2019

Thanks. I have now emailed them based on the recommendations here. :thumbsup:

The strap is a bit thick and still a bit stiff as it hasn't been 'broken in' yet. This might be the issue, let's see what they say.

Syrte likes this.
  10. gostang9 Apr 2, 2019

Thanks for the tip! That's what I was looking for... :thumbsup:

Thanks for seconding the recommendation and giving me yet another reason to come see you soon (as if I didn't already have enough). I know I'm many weeks late on my earlier agreed visit, but my schedule simply hasn't allowed for it. I'm hoping within the next few weeks and will reach out to check with you as soon as I see a window of opportunity. :thumbsup:

I'm happy to hear you have an RHD deployant and look forward to trying it out in person. :cool:

3 solid recommendations, must be something to them! Thanks! :thumbsup:

Syrte likes this.
  11. gostang9 Apr 2, 2019

Yeah, this could be the issue. I've also wondered if I'm inadvertently pressing the opening buttons when I bend my wrist sharply... ::confused2::

queriver likes this.