Forums Latest Members
  1. Love Your Speedy Feb 14, 2017

Hi guys, this is LYS.

I am actually pretty torn apart by a problem... A few months ago I got as a gift a brand-new Rolex Sea-Dweller 116600.
    I am happy with that watch, it is stunningly precise and the matte dial was and still is a game-changer to me BUT I keep looking at it as a possible way to a 321-cal. Speedmaster and this is not as it should be.
    I have done deep researches before going for the SD but now the problem seems unavoidable.

The real matter lays in the fact that the watch is a gift and I would feel at least "awkward" selling it.

What do you guys think?

Sorry for my English in advance.

LYS

2. calalum Feb 14, 2017

To me selling such a special gift would be a real problem. What are you going to do when the giver asks about the watch? Be truthful and you hurt their feelings or lie and even worse. Save up and buy a Speedie when you can. JMHO.

Jwit, RJwatches, abrod520 and 5 others like this.
  3. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Feb 14, 2017

Tell us which dark alleys you frequent. Problem solved.

Rodmar, Jwit, aap and 3 others like this.
  4. Love Your Speedy Feb 14, 2017

And if the giver would be told the truth? I don't think he would be mad for that since, at least to me, it is always better to say the truth than pretending everything is good. Maybe it's just the wrong choice (hence, watch)

5. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Feb 14, 2017

[​IMG]

6. Davidt Feb 14, 2017

Unless it was gifted as a reward at work, it's bad form to sell it to fund something else imo.

Etp095 and BartH like this.
  7. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Feb 14, 2017

How/why did the gift giver pick a Rolex Sea Dweller? Had you had a conversation with him/her and indicated in some way that you wanted a Sea Dweller? In any event, I think you should sell the watch and get a nice 321 Speedy, as it seems that's what you really want. JMO.

Foo2rama likes this.
  8. Love Your Speedy Feb 14, 2017

I personally went to the AD to purchase the SD while the gift giver waited for me to be back home with the gift...
    I read fora and online reviews and discussions for weeks before choosing the SD.

9. Snorkelflip Feb 14, 2017

Let's take a look at this Sea dweller. You never know, someone might offer you a swap ::popcorn::

10. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 14, 2017

Either / Or? Why be so black and white?

11. Love Your Speedy Feb 14, 2017

@oddboy Owning both would be the best option but it is not currently possible

@Snorkelflip It is a full-set Rolex Sea-Dweller purchased in Dec 2016, it's nearly N.O.S. I would say

Snorkelflip and oddboy like this.
  12. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 14, 2017

Sea Dweller can get wet. Are you a water loving human and this prompted the gift? A 321 Speedmaster is indeed a special watch but it loathes water. (I know since I stupidly had mine on when doing laundry) So I'd say keep the SD and avoid the awkwardness. I'm a water rat so I need to own a modern Rolex.

13. Love Your Speedy Feb 14, 2017

I already own a 1861-cal. Speedy so I know that it is a watch which actually fears water ahah
    I love water and if I will sell the SD I will still have my Seiko SKX007 to go diving if necessary.

14. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Feb 15, 2017

::popcorn::

Snorkelflip likes this.
  15. Snorkelflip Feb 15, 2017

I'm done, I can't eat anymore popcorn!

blufinz52 likes this.
  16. tyrantlizardrex Feb 15, 2017

Then Patience is your friend. Enjoy the SD. Save for a 321.

Edited Feb 15, 2017
    Spacefruit and oddboy like this.
  17. watchlovr Feb 15, 2017

So you picked the SD and a significant other paid for it as a gift after discussion and research?
    Of course you should not sell it.
    Next question.

R. Johansen, Jwit, MikiJ and 4 others like this.
  18. jsalasrush Feb 15, 2017

Agree. Enjoy the SD. Save for a 321.

Larry S and oddboy like this.
  19. MaiLollo Feb 15, 2017

I would never sell it. But then again if you do not feel any sentimental value attached to the watch you could sell it

20. bgrisso Feb 15, 2017

Depends on your relationship with the OG (original gifter). My gf gives me gifts occasionally that eventually I want to swap out, and sometimes we talk it through and settle on an approach that we both feel good about. Like recently I sold the first nice watch she ever gave me (a Gevril with an eta movement, I think it was just under a grand some years ago) and put it towards a tri compax. That way the spirit or intention of the original gift is still contained in the next generation. Sort of like watch reincarnation I guess. Maybe we need to come up with a new religion to justify the fancy footwork of watch collecting. Anyhow she was totally cool with it. I wouldn't sell something if she didn't feel OK about it. And granted, a gevril is a far cry from an SD. But still, I say if all parties involved feel ok, get what you actually want.

oddboy likes this.