Forums Latest Members
  1. Idolatrist Feb 16, 2016

My girlfriend's father had this vintage watch, it's in pretty rough condition currently, but the movement looks good (I think) - I currently have the watch in my possession, my intent is to restore it to perfection and then give it back to him for his birthday. Based off of some google searches, my research has identified the watch as a 1950's/49? Omega Ref 2505; there seem to be a lot of dial variations to this model with the same movement, but I cant find my specific dial. Can someone with some strong vintage experience please tell me everything you know about this beauty (soon to be) - and the best way I can go about restoration? I took it to the Omega store today and they said that without the original case, they can not touch it. The original owner said that his father had sold the original case and bracelet (18k gold) and replaced it with this stainless steel generic case. The watch came from Argentina (his family is from there), and apparently, the reps at Omega couldn't even order the extract for it; so I have no concrete information as to what this watch is, only research based assumptions which are open to speculation given my lack of expertise. Help me turn this beast into a queen. Any and all feedback is welcome.

Note: the watch keeps time surprisingly accurate given what it looks like (still want to get it serviced, but Omega wont touch it)

Ref: 2505
    Calibre 265, 15 Jewels
    Movement # 11757700
    Case/Crystal: Non-genuine (generic) ..*advice for as close to genuine as possible replacement needed

File_000 (1).jpeg File_000.jpeg File_001.jpeg File_002.jpeg File_003.jpeg File_004.jpeg File_005.jpeg File_006.jpeg
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 16, 2016

Did someone store that thing in salt water?:eek:;)

You really need to take it to a competent watchmaker ASAP. They should be able to get rid of the funk on the case and assess any damage to the movement. The dial looks to be in good condition despite it all.

Spend a few extra bucks on an OEM signed Omega crystal. Better quality and better looking.

Good luck with the restoration.
    gatorcpa

3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 16, 2016

Standing by for After pics!

Best of luck!

themartist likes this.
  4. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Feb 16, 2016

How do you know it is a ref 2505 if you don't have the original case? That movement/dial could have come from a number of different reference. IMO, take it to an independent watchmaker as Gator suggested and have it cleaned and serviced, new crystal installed and a nice strap. This is going to be your best option.

5. Idolatrist Feb 16, 2016

I don't. I stated that the model specs were open to speculation, admitting that I wasn't 100% sure....I did however stumble onto this link, the bottom right model seems to be very close to the one I have in my possession, and that was identified as a 2505 - hence my presumption.

6. Idolatrist Feb 16, 2016

7. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Feb 16, 2016

Well, I wouldn't use that as a guide. There are so many dial variants, so the only way you might be able to figure the original reference would be through an extract, which may or may not have the information.