Forums Latest Members
  1. Hotwheelbill Apr 8, 2014

I have a dozen or so watches I watch on Ebay to try and understand price. .....and so far, I can't.
    What made this watch price jump so high?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/OMEGA-Seama...gyPuIaa5sTpdJtKbzXtZQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=ncPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

And, to me, these two seem to have a good price.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/310923589966?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251493632151?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 8, 2014

There is one absolute rule to price - Supply and demand.

There is one absolute rule to the price of an auction - how much do you want it?

Prices in auctions can be influenced by many things, some to be aware of:

:cool: Astuteness of the seller

::confused2:: Astuteness of the buyer

and finally

:cautious: Honesty of the seller and their friends (or shills)

I'll have a look at your links tomorrow and see if I can figure out a pattern.

3. ulackfocus Apr 8, 2014

Shenanigans aside (i.e.: shill bidding), condition and desirability drive price. There are quite a few of us who are willing to pay a premium for a mint specimen. For me, the dial is the most important part when it comes to Omega and Longines since there aren't many dials that can be redone exactly like original.

citizenrich likes this.
  4. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Apr 8, 2014

a thesis could be written on the price action of 1940's to 1960's Universal Geneve X. X .X. Compax series over the last 6 to 12 months. The fever pitch has now reached the "panic buying" stage where interested parties feel compelled to make purchases because the price will only be higher later on today - next week
    - next month - next year. Sudden price increases brought good examples to the market and now suddenly there's a scarcity of sellers because of those holding off for the prospect of guaranteed higher prices in the future. So, they're no supply or elasticity.

we 're now entering (or have probably been) in the greater fool stage. market theory dictates purchases should be made on any pullbacks for the foreseeable future...

gatorcpa, Taurus and John R Smith like this.
  5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 8, 2014

Look at enough of these and you would know that the first watch is 18k gold, the high bidders realized this and drove the price to an appropriate level. Its also in significantly better condition than the others.

Note the hallmark on the back of one lug and the color of the gold.

$_12.JPG

6. Hotwheelbill Apr 8, 2014

7. ulackfocus Apr 8, 2014

It's not a classic moonwatch, it's the reduced model. That's about right - I see them sell for $950 to $1200 depending on condition and if it has box & papers or not.

8. Hotwheelbill Apr 8, 2014

Thanks, I have a little more info on this.
    I am a good seller on Ebay , 760, but as to buying watches.................

9. John R Smith Apr 9, 2014

But you have great taste in motorcycles . . . .;)

Hotwheelbill likes this.
  10. Hotwheelbill Apr 9, 2014

Thank you. That is another revolving door in itself.