Forums Latest Members

Help me to bring this 14755-61 back into original condition

1. sulaco Jul 18, 2014

I recently got hold of this little beauty. never had such an old watch, never such a small watch ;)
    But i really do like it, but i want to bring it back into its original shape.
    I got it from the grandson of the first owner and i really like those family heirloom watches.
    I searched the net and read some books but actually i still can´t figure out what would be correct or not.
    Is it an early 14755 or a late one ?
    I suppose it needs the broad arrow minute hand, a dagger like hour hand and a arrow second hand if it is an early one.
    Or its a late one and the hour and minute hand might be correct because the 165.012 has the ones
    How about a straight polished second hand.
    The serial number starts with 18566..
    The crown needs also to be changed, will the ones for the Ranchero fit?
    Another thing is the strap, any suggestion will be appreciated.

So here are the pictures, i really hope you can help here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

watchyouwant and Spacefruit like this.
  2. cristos71 Jul 18, 2014

Nice watch, the dial looks good and the case is nice and sharp with full lugs.

It looks quite early to me, I have a 14755 with a 19.6 million serial, which is about 1963.

The hands are definitely wrong, they shouldn´t be the candlestick type but the small arrow set. I think the 165.014 came in in 1964 and I have seen the odd 14755 with the candlestick hands. Whether or not they came from the factory like that is debatable as to my eye they don´t match the dial very well.

I have seen hand sets available on Ebay, they are of course very shiny and I would advise aging them and refilling before fitting for a better look.

The crown can be ordered and the bezel will need an `Aldo` treatment.

I find the 14755 seriously undervalued as it is pretty much identical to a later CK2913 but costs about 50% as much!!

Here´s mine :)

048.JPG

3. sulaco Jul 18, 2014

yours looks nice Christo, what kind of strap is it?
    I already ordered the same hands you have, and i got the arrowlike second at home just need to adapt the lume.
    Alos tired to contact Aldo, but didn´t get any response.

4. cristos71 Jul 18, 2014

5. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jul 18, 2014

Those hands are possibly correct for the 14755 but have of course been relumed. There are some quirks about these early SM300s that need to be investigated further.

6. sulaco Jul 18, 2014

yes they are relumed, i also thought that these handsmight be correct, as it is a one owner watch i don´t believe there has been to much fiddleing.
    To relume it with a nicer color is a bit more difficult because the luming area is so large, i can do small areas with no problem, like the head of the
    arrowhead second hand, but this something different.

7. sulaco Jul 18, 2014

Maybe somebody can enlighten me what "not cheap" means when we are talking about Aldo's Bezel repair ?

8. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jul 18, 2014

excellent ! good to see that it worked and you could wrestle the watch from the previous owner....... the ordered handset from watchco is an original set and should be o.k. for your age. and, yes, relume them and before you do, try to dip them in silver cleaning solution for a second and straight into water to soak off afterwards. that might loose the shine a bit. other members might have better solutions to age shiny hands ? very interested in hearing that..... kind regards., achim

9. cristos71 Jul 19, 2014

When I had a couple done in 2012 they were 250 Euro each

10. cristos71 Jul 19, 2014

I would have thought if correct then only for the later serials heading towards 1964 and 165.014 territory. The OP´s watch is a ´61.

11. sulaco Jul 19, 2014

Didn´t have to wrestle that much, he just wanted to sell rather to a collector instead of a broker ;)
    and i seem to have found the right words.
    I will try the silver cleaning stuff and see what happens. :thumbsup:

12. sulaco Jul 19, 2014

Who, that price is tough, considering that i also have to wait 6 month :eek:
    I also have an idea who to repair it by my own, lets see how this works out, i will keep you posted

watchyouwant likes this.