Forums Latest Members
  1. mfili98 Sep 5, 2016

Hello everyone, I just bought a 14k gold Geneve quartz watch, mainly because I got a good deal on it. The only problem is, the battery died shortly after I got it and upon trying to open the case back to change it, I realized there was no case back :eek: Now, I know that the movement must come out through the front (crystal) but I have no idea how to go about removing it and I don't think it wise to go messing around with it blindly :D Any help would be appreciated.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 5, 2016

It's either lift the crystal, or lift the bezel/crystal combined, or maybe just split the case.

You need to look closely at the sides of the case to see if there are any obvious joins where a blade can be inserted.

But as you said " I have no idea how to go about removing it and I don't think it wise to go messing around with it blindly" so I think it would be a good idea to see a watchmaker who has the tools, knowledge and skills to do the job.

Syrte likes this.
  3. WatchWarlock Sep 5, 2016

I'm assuming crown out and crystal out first. Never dared tried since I've seen people botch it and damage the hands/dial on vintage Omegas. Not mall kiosk, but any watchmaker should be able to do it.

4. redpcar Sep 5, 2016

You changing the battery? Melting it down?
    Have you opened a watch before? A closer pic of the crown side would help.

DManzaluni likes this.
  5. vinn2 Sep 6, 2016

if you paid a lot for it, no sense i scaring it up or bleeding all over the kitchen table. if its a " cheepie" ; and there is no seam on the back side, its a "front loader". cheers vinn

6. Dero13 4 watches. All set to the wrong time. Sep 18, 2016

Get it to an expert if you have to ask

kkt likes this.
  7. vinn2 Sep 18, 2016

there is no problem about asking. vinn

8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 18, 2016

Two choices

A
    image.jpeg

Or a
    image.jpeg

9. Amadeus Dec 2, 2016

Let's see if I can be of help, firstmost could you show me a profile picture of the case just to be sure? but I think it opens just like you would open an Omega Dynamic.

Take a look at this video:

ralpher, U5512 and François Pépin like this.
  10. U5512 Dec 24, 2016

Very informative video......thanks!

11. vinn2 Dec 24, 2016

i could not open the video, no problem, i have opened a few. just don't get any blood on the work bench.

ralpher likes this.
  12. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Dec 24, 2016

Watchmaker with caseback tool/knife would be my prefered option... LOL can't open the video :eek:

ralpher likes this.
  13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 24, 2016

You can't remove the case back on this one...did you read the thread at all?

ralpher and SpeedyPhill like this.
  14. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Dec 24, 2016

indeed but I had to type something funny as "unable to open the video" has some hilarious textual link with the topic title :)

ralpher likes this.
  15. ulackfocus Dec 24, 2016

I know how to solve the problem completely.

8cxrd5Ezi.jpg

Syrte, ralpher and adg31 like this.
  16. ChrisN Dec 24, 2016

Poor old thing. Dropped face down onto a cushion after picking up fingerprints on the dial.

Clearly overkill. The @Mad Dog method is much more precise and delicate plus it works with front and rear loaders. Hell, you don't even need to figure out which one it is, just get opening!

Cheers, Chris

ralpher and Mad Dog like this.
  17. pippy Jan 22, 2017

Here is a link for you. Good luck.

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 22, 2017

From touching the movement with fingers, to gripping the battery with metal tweezers (shorted it), to forcefully yanking out a stem that is not a split stem, there's awhole lot wrong with how that is done...not a good example to follow at all.

dsio and Stewart H like this.
  19. pippy Jan 22, 2017

Did not say it was a good example. Hopefully, they would see that the job should be done by someone with experience and not by someone that was in the process of destroying a watch.