Help me know more about my Nana's Omega

Hello! I have this vintage wrist watch... I can tell that the serial number is 18064727 which means, according to some research I made, that it was made around 1961... What I believe is the reference number is GY 10956-9 but I can't find what the metal code "GY" means (if it is a metal code). Maybe you could help me know more about it :) Thanks in Advance!

Like 1
Owing to their faceted synthetic sapphire crystals Omega produced a broad range of ladies watches called "Saphette", yours would be included.

Like 6
Owing to their faceted synthetic sapphire crystals Omega produced a broad range of ladies watches called "Saphette", yours would be included.
Interesting! I didn't know that. Thank you!

The Sapphette series by Omega were all in karat gold cases. They were made in 14-karat and 18-karat solid alloy, depending on the market they were destined for. The 14-karat ones were usually destined for North America. The 18-karat ones largely for Europe. The subject watch is 18-karat, so it might have been bought in Europe, or possibly Asia. Can’t help with your question re: the GY. The crystals on these Sapphettes are faceted like a gemstone would be faceted, and are made of synthetic sapphire. Beautiful watch!

Like 1
The Sapphette series by Omega were all in karat gold cases. They were made in 14-karat and 18-karat solid alloy, depending on the market they were destined for. The 14-karat ones were usually destined for North America. The 18-karat ones largely for Europe. The subject watch is 18-karat, so it might have been bought in Europe, or possibly Asia. Can’t help with your question re: the GY. The crystals on these Sapphettes are faceted like a gemstone would be faceted, and are made of synthetic sapphire. Beautiful watch!
Nice! Thank you very much! :)

Hello! I have this vintage wrist watch... I can tell that the serial number is 18064727 which means, according to some research I made, that it was made around 1961... What I believe is the reference number is GY 10956-9 but I can't find what the metal code "GY" means (if it is a metal code). Maybe you could help me know more about it :) Thanks in Advance!

I don't know of a GY metal code used by Omega.
However, going by the makers mark (Poinçon de maître /marteau sans manche) of 122 your case was made for Omega by Guyot & Cie. SA of La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland.

I suspect the GY is an additional maker's mark.

Like 1
I don't know of a GY metal code used by Omega.
However, going by the makers mark (Poinçon de maître /marteau sans manche) of 122 your case was made for Omega by Guyot & Cie. SA of La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland.

I suspect the GY is an additional maker's mark.
That makes sense, it could be an additional maker's mark. Thank you!