Forums Latest Members

Help me identify this vintage omega and it's value?

1. geequ Oct 5, 2016

Hi folks,

Total newbie here, my dad just loaned me his omega seamaster that he purchased a long time ago in Hong Kong. It came in a bright red velvet small case, he doesn't have the papers. I cannot find which model this seamaster is as it is not a DeVille, and my only search for vintage 1960's omegas only show me DeVille models. Please help me identify this particular one, and is it even real? Or a fake. Thank you!

I have added 3 photos for some visual info, if you need another angle please let me know.

**The watch is two toned, gold on the bezel and strap holders, and silver on the back.

IMG_20161005_114859.jpg IMG_20161005_114939.jpg IMG_20161005_114949.jpg
    GregH, ulackfocus and Edward53 like this.
  2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 5, 2016

If you can have someone open the caseback you can get the reference # off the inside face, and also the movement caliber. I do not think it will have a name other then Seamaster. In my short time on OF I have seen many from predominantly the 1960s that look like this.

3. François Pépin Oct 8, 2016

Looks good. But more info with more pics!

4. Maybe Oct 8, 2016

Seamasters are in demand. Probably in the range 500-800 USD, at the moment, imo.

5. ConElPueblo Oct 8, 2016

That's a great looking Seamaster! :thumbsup:

The finish is called "gold capped", which is a high quality gold plating - harder wearing than gold electroplated watches, but much cheaper than a solid gold watch. The strap + buckle alone are quite desirable, so hang on to those two items. If you are going to put it into more regular use, I'd suggest that you source a good quality leather strap for it and put aside the original, as it will preserve it better.

The watch has an automatic movement of the 500-series, which are both accurate and robust movements of high quality.

Maybe likes this.
  6. ulackfocus Oct 8, 2016

Judging by the font (particularly the capital S in Seamaster), the shape of the lugs, and the crown, that's a very late 50's to very early 60's watch. It is certainly authentic, and probably as a caliber 50x, 591, or 55x inside. The dial is in FANTASTIC shape...... almost too good! The bezel andcase has some chips and wear to the gold capping / plating though.

It even looks like the correct / original buckle (and maybe strap too).

You're one of the best n00bs we've had in a while! I can only think of 2 other occasions this year so far that a new member posted clear pictures of the watch in question and even installed an avatar picture. Thank you dude! :thumbsup:

EDIT: with that crown and those hands, I'd be betting it has a caliber 591 inside and from 1960 if we were wagering.

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 8, 2016

Buckle and strap look original and correct to me. Hard to find, too!

I don't see wear-through of the pressure bonded gold (not plated) on the watch. Case looks very sharp.

What I do see is a lot of reflection from a flash. Flashes are no-no's when photographing a watch.

It's shiny enough without artificial help.
    gatorcpa