Forums Latest Members

Help me Identify this old Baume & Mercier Please.

1. Thrasher36 Jun 5, 2019

So This watch was my mothers. She passed away in 1987 and its been in my safe deposit box ever since. In 1987 I was 3 years away from buying my first Omega....A Speedmaster of course..Imagine that!
    So my wife has never had an interest in this watch though over the years I have asked her many times.
    We have a Son and No Daughter, I have no Brothers and sisters So what to do. Well first I need to figure out what it is and what its worth....Maybe another Speedmaster but I doubt it. If it's worth nothing its going back in the box. I called Baume & Mercier today and forward the description and photos and they will get back to me, At the very least I hope they can tell me what year it is. So here's the description from 1987.

It has my mother's initials engraved on the case back "CWW" she would be the original owner. The numbers on the case back are 363508 and 36643 on the clasp it is marked 750 and BMG. After my mother's death a report was written by a jeweler. It reads: "Ladys yellow gold stamped 750 Baume & Mercier Seventeen jewel watch. The watch has a white face with black roman numerals. The back cover is hand engraved CWW. The back cover is also stamped 363508 and 36643. Total weight without movement is 47.51 grams".
    please see attached photos.

It runs, I put it on my cheap time graph and the amplitude is low just over 200 and S/D was like -2 S/D, I dont remember the beat error and I think the VPH was 21,600 no idea what the lift angle was so I set it at 50.

Any help you guys can give would be appreciated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Thrasher36 Jun 5, 2019

Oh yea the crystal is plexi and looks like some clown glued it in, Also the dial has little raised bumps from age and the enamel is chipped in two places where dial meets case.

3. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jun 5, 2019

I have my grandfather’s unrepairable Seiko that I just keep for sentimental purposes. At least they are watches and not sofas

4. Thrasher36 Jun 5, 2019

I still have the first watch I ever bought with my own money when I was 19.
    [​IMG]
    Plus we still own my Parents house and I'm convinced my Dads Timex is under the Red wood deck built in the 70s

michael22 likes this.
  5. Evitzee Jun 5, 2019

It's worth $1,523 today, the scrap 18k gold value. There is no horological value. My wife had a similar B&M with a mosaic opal dial and same machine made mesh bracelet that I bought her for Christmas in 1976. She seldom wore it and stuff from that era went out of style a!ong with bell bottoms and Nehru jackets. Took it to a few places and all they would pay is scrap value. You will find the same thing. But $1,500 is nothing to sneeze at. Buy something in your mom's memory.

GregH likes this.
  6. Thrasher36 Jun 6, 2019

God I hate to think of it as scrap but your not the first one to say this my Local jeweler said almost exactly the same thing, Value of the gold and its out of fashion...Very sad.

I will see if anyone else has any thoughts then probably post it here and the Rolex Forum hoping someone has a fetish for 1970s