Forums Latest Members

Help me ID my diamond dial Hamilton

1. TropicConnie Apr 21, 2018

First and foremost, excuse the oversize strap, it's not my doing. I'm asking the experts here for help in positively identifying this 14 karat gold Hamilton Cal. 770. I believe it's a Parker, but I've never seen a diamond dial Parker in catalogues. The similar Bradford model came in a diamond dial variant (but with 11 diamonds; mine has 16), and had similar lugs but they're stepped rather than chamfered.

I've also read a lot of repetitive hyperbole regarding the Cal. 770 - 'it was their highest grade movement and competed squarely with Patek Philippe'. Can anyone point me to the origin of this claim? It seems to be often repeated with no reference or justification as if it's just an accepted fact, like the sky is blue.

Cheers

[​IMG]

Edited Apr 22, 2018
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 22, 2018

At the time yes the 770 and esp 982m Hamilton’s where some of the best in the world. Esp when you look at post war Europe’s manufacturing ability.

The 982 was the highest grade I believe but the 770 was close.

TropicConnie likes this.
  3. TropicConnie Apr 22, 2018

I thought the 770 was later - and has more jewels plus shock protection. Doesn't that make it higher grade? I'm still learning though and I'm likely missing the finer details. Thanks for your help!

EDIT: I've since given up on finding the watch in catalogues and I've concluded it was most likely part of their Awards Division collection. The lack of any engraving on the caseback is still a mystery, however!

Edited Apr 23, 2018
  4. SeanO Apr 22, 2018

TropicConnie,

Have a look at vintagewatchforums.com

You should be able to find what you need there

TropicConnie likes this.
  5. TropicConnie Apr 22, 2018

Thanks, I already looked all over that website. There's nothing on my exact watch but I did learn a little about the movement.

6. ac106 Apr 22, 2018

TropicConnie likes this.
  7. TropicConnie Apr 23, 2018

Scoured all over that website too. I've concluded with 99% certainty that the watch isn't a retail model. Really the only thing that even hints at it not being an Awards Division Hammy is the lack of any inscription on the caseback; I'd imagine the vast majority of the watches coming out of the Awards Division would have had some kind of inscription.

8. SeanO Apr 23, 2018

in the 30's it was very common (with Hamilton) to get diamond dials applied to your watch via some New York jewellers.

as the dial on your version varies from either the 5/6 or 11 jewel models presented in the cattledogs perhaps it's in a similar vein.

if it was an Awards Division watch then it should have an inscription of some sort.

Only perusing the factory records (I'm not even sure if the Awards stuff is in them) might answer the question.

you'd need to contact the NAWCC as I believe they have them archived.

TropicConnie likes this.
  9. ac106 Apr 23, 2018

Is th back marked Hamilton? What about inside the caseback?

10. TropicConnie Apr 23, 2018

Thanks! I'll contact the NAWCC and see what I can find out about both my watch and the Hamilton 770 inside it.

I haven't checked inside the caseback myself, I'll ask the watchmaker for a photograph.

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 23, 2018

I think the dial could be a custom job, with the diamonds hand set.

The Grade 770 was the top of the line manual wind movement for Hamilton in the 1950's and 1960's. It was a high grade movement for the time. When you consider that you could get this movement in a gold-filled Hamilton for under $100 and a Patek at the time likely started around $1,000, to expect the movements to be equivalent was ludicrous.

However, Hamilton was considered the "American Patek" because they had the best movements made in the US at that time.
    gatorcpa

TropicConnie likes this.
  12. TropicConnie Apr 25, 2018

Thanks Gator, I think you're correct about the customization on the dial. Thanks also for your insight into the movement, I only today realized that it's essentially interchangeable with other Hamilton movements of the time, hence being a 'grade' rather than a 'caliber' or 'reference'. It sure is pretty! I'd love to get my hands on a copy of the service bulletin, I love all the technical info I've seen in them explaining the intricacies and differences between each grade.

13. TropicConnie May 22, 2018

Sorry for resurrecting a dead thread, but I've seen inside the caseback and there is no markings. Apparently Hamilton regards these as 'Counterfeit'?!
    upload_2018-5-23_14-10-19.png

connieseamaster likes this.
  14. connieseamaster May 23, 2018

I think that notice only applied to ladies watches because jewelers were selling Hamilton movements in their own cases and telling customers the whole thing would be covered under Hamilton's warranty. A modern example would be Tonneau putting a Rolex movement in their own case and selling it as covered under the Rolex warranty.

TropicConnie likes this.
  15. ac106 May 23, 2018

Jobber cased movement. Pretty common back in the 50s. hamiltonchronicles.com talks about it a few times. Watchmakers would put high quality Hamilton movements into aftermarket precious metal cases (and sometimes "upgraded" dials [diamonds etc] so they could be sold at higher prices.

TropicConnie likes this.
  16. TropicConnie May 23, 2018

Thank you both for the information! Even if mine isn't technically a factory original Hamilton, I like its uniqueness. I've emailed Hamilton to see if they have any further information.