Forums Latest Members

Help me find my own wedding gift!

1. Peppe Nov 19, 2015

Hello gentlemen!

I have been informed I'm getting married mid December. I would consider my self lucky enough just being able to make this fantastic woman my wife; but on top of that my future mother in law would like to give me a watch for a wedding gift. Naturally I do not oppose this; especially since she tasked me to find it my self [emoji4] I am therefore turning to you for help finding a watch that I will keep for life.

What I have got stuck on is a 50ies or early 60ies Constellation, but I am open for suggestions also on other similar styled models!! I do love the models with styling in line with the 2852 (so 50ies models) but could also do other pie pan models.

Could also be interested in a Tudor Oyster from the same period. Preferably the date only model or one without date.

Some definite demands that I will not bow for:

- I before said it needs to be 35mm or larger, but simply have to realize that I love the design too much on the smaller models that I will have to give them a fair chance. Absolute minimum is 34mm though! The larger the better however!

- Case material would preferably be steel, but could also be rose gold. Yellow gold not of interest.

- Since I intend to keep this one for life AND the fact that I am quite pedantic, I am looking for a watch that is in very good condition.

So hoping one of you would consider letting go of a part of your collection in order for me to find my wedding gift!

Drop me a PM if you have something you think would be of interest!

I am based in Sweden.

Edited Dec 3, 2015
  2. abrod520 Nov 19, 2015

3. Peppe Nov 20, 2015

Yes... have spotted that one as well. Could be something. I will gamble a bit to see if something comes up on this forum. Not 100% sure on silver dial. It is ok, but white/black is nicer I think.

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 20, 2015

5. Peppe Nov 20, 2015

Mmm... not quite what I was looking for... but WHAT A NICE PIECE!! Fantastic condition and full set. If that would have been a mid fifties Constellation in steel I would have gone mental

6. Peppe Nov 20, 2015

7. devnull Nov 20, 2015

I may have a '61 Constellation like the one posted on timezone but two tone, gold and steel. It looks a lot dressier which is what you need for the occasion. I say 'may' because the person I was holding it for doesn't seem to want it anymore. If you are interested I'll throw it in the private sales forum with dibs to you.

Please don't get married wearing a large sports watch. I know that this is the 21st century and fashion/culture is not what it used to be, but formal wear should not accommodate a sports watch.

8. Peppe Nov 20, 2015

Haha! I promise! That just won't happen!

Well... could be of interest. Not sure I want gold to be honest, but I have changed my mind before :)

Good condition? Possible to get a picture? Or will you simply post it anyway?

9. devnull Nov 20, 2015

It is this guy. The person is thorn on whether the black spot blemishes on the dial are too significant. In addition there is light even spotting visible in person. It was serviced this past August and I just got my timegrapher so I can confirm that the time keeping is spot on. DSCF5252.JPG
    I like the watch a lot but for whatever reason I just don't wear it! I have a crappy Omega Officer that gets to see more wrist time than this, go figure. If it becomes available I would want $950 net to me and I would post additional pictures of everything on it.

10. Peppe Nov 20, 2015

I switch to PM not to mess to much in the thread.

11. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Nov 21, 2015

Regarding to your case size preference, 35 or >35 would limit you quite a bit.

I own a 35mm ref. 2852 and until this week I owned a 34,4mm ref. 168.005 and I must say that the smaller one didn't feel smaller. The case shape (dog legged lugs and thin bezel) made it wear bigger.

12. Peppe Nov 21, 2015

Mmm... realize that. Found many models that I love the design of, but where the diameter is around 34mm.

Problem is that I cannot try them on before buying. I have tried on/owned a few 35-36mm models that I just feel is border line even though my wrists are narrow. But that is something you probably get used to as well.

I'm just afraid that I will buy a smaller one and feel it's too small. But what you say is that a 2852 (which I absolutely love the design of!!) wears a bit smaller than a similar sized 168.005 (which is maybe the more common design of the pie pans)?

Might have to reconsider then. I guess I can always sell again if it just doesn't work, right? Mother in law would probably not be able to notice I did again be switch afterwards anyway [emoji6]

13. devnull Nov 21, 2015

It takes a big man to wear a small watch ;)

Peppe likes this.
  14. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Nov 21, 2015

With the parts situation these days and depending on Mom's pocketbook, I'd consider this.
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/its-new-its-mine-now.31166/
    Yann is a vintage icon here but I've never seen him swoon so. Picture is from his thread.

15110703570219182113729747.jpg

New watch with old history to commemorate a new life, perhaps with old-fashioned values.
    Good luck with the nuptials and hug that Mother-in-law for us!

15. Peppe Nov 21, 2015

Aha... never seen that one. Well I do like vintage look but with modern reliability so why not :) Own a FOIS which is in line with that.

But this one... not sure. Might be better in reality, but does not strike me as a looker on pics. The originals are so much better.

Since you mention parts. Is parts supply for 50x, 55x, 56x an issue that would suggest to stay away from vintage??

16. Peppe Nov 26, 2015

Still looking for a Constellation! I have seen many stunning examples on this forum, but nobody who could consider a sale? :)

17. SeanO Nov 26, 2015

I'd probably consider one of the C Case Connies from the late 60's. It will be slightly larger but modern enough so that you shouldn't have any problems getting parts for it.

You'd probably also find one in solid gold for a reasonable price (as long as you don't want the brick bracelet).

18. Peppe Dec 3, 2015

Well... They are not bad at all in fact, and maybe I will get one of those as well later on :) But first of all an earlier Connie!

19. Peppe Dec 3, 2015

Updated the requirement list a but hoping to get some offers :)

Seen so many fantastic Connies here! Are they so fantastic that you don't like to sell? :)

20. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 3, 2015

So you want a Connie for your wedding gift, and you post requirements.

And expected people to sell there hard found fantastic connies to you by offering them to you personally.

Well have I missed a change in collecting where you just ask for others stuff without the hard work and pitfalls of finding , buying and researching....