Forums Latest Members

Help Me Feel Less Depressed About Having Lost This One...

1. MidnightWarlock Apr 2, 2013

If you've been following the couple threads I've started over these past couple days, you know that I recently made a terrible purchase but was fortunately let off the hook for it and I received my money back. For the past several hours I've been reading every bit of information I can find on these forums (and others) to educate myself on vintage Omega. I've also been scouring eBay for something that fits my specifications and price point, and lo and behold, I found the perfect watch. A little over my budget, but that was ok. 0 bids and 35 minutes to go before the end of the listing, I figured I'd message the seller to see if he could go any lower before I left to go pick up food for the family. I arrive in time to catch the last few minutes, still no word from the seller. Long story short, someone else sniped it out from under me at the last second for 399.99. Just then, I remembered the wise words of MSNwatch... "My greatest regrets in this hobby have been not overpaying for excellent examples..." I won't lie, I'm very distraught. Can someone just tell me the watch was a piece of crap and the box it came with was worthless? Lie to me, it's cool. :p

Link to the watch: http://www.ebay.com/itm/350752048512?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. AJDay Apr 2, 2013

Considering selling a similar one (my avatar), sending you a PM...

3. ulackfocus Apr 2, 2013

That was one of the early front loaders, meaning the movement comes out the front after the crystal & bezel are removed. It went cheap. Sorry, can't lie - it was worth a few bucks more than the selling price IMO.

Let me tell you a little story about a watch I purchased in January:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sold one of these over a year ago and kicked myself frequently for letting it go. I saw the listing for this come up, was immediately messaged by Kyle here, and it turns out Steve / cicindela was looking at it too. I had sent the seller a question about the asking price wondering if he'd come down a few hundred DESPITE it being a pretty good deal. Steve called me and said "Why haggle over a couple hundred bucks on a watch you really want? Somebody can come along in the mean time and hit B.I.N. and you lose it forever." He was right; I bought it instead of dickering with the seller. The watch was listed maybe 15 minutes which was 14.5 minutes longer than I should have left it out there. He who hesitates is (usually) lost. I chalk it up to the Watch Gods looking out for me.

Moral of the story: don't pass up good watches. If you know you want it, and you know it's kosher, claim it. If you don't know for sure message one of us that's on line and we'll check it out.

6omega likes this.
  4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Apr 2, 2013

Truth has been written here.

5. MidnightWarlock Apr 2, 2013

So basically end my life? Gotcha. Hahaha

6. pitpro Likes the game. Apr 2, 2013

These aren't my thing but the dial looks unmolested

7. MidnightWarlock Apr 2, 2013

:(

8. pitpro Likes the game. Apr 2, 2013

Plenty more. Another bus will be by in a few minutes

9. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 2, 2013

Nice starter omega and that box is worth ~$100 as it is the same box the late 60s cal. 321 speedmasters came in. Common watch though and not hard to find - this one is a loss but not a big one.

10. ulackfocus Apr 2, 2013

See below.

Bingo! Luckily the watch you were looking at isn't rare and has lots of first cousins too.

11. MidnightWarlock Apr 2, 2013

This is exactly what I needed to hear! I'm glad they aren't uncommon and I'm sure I can pick up a box separately elsewhere. Thanks for raising my hopes a bit.

12. ulackfocus Apr 2, 2013

The correct boxes do pop up a few times each year. There's no shortage of front loading (aka: monocoque) 60's Seamasters and Seamster De Villes. They were made from @ 1960 into the 70's, the Seamaster De Villes from 1963 into 1967.