Forums Latest Members

Help me determine an honest value for this WHite Gold Apollo XI

1. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Jan 7, 2014

I can only blame honorable member Warren for rekindling my love for these. Other than a few minor dings, obviously worn but not abused, plus an expensive replacement strap and buckle: What else is wrong? Maybe the leather book case similar to what my Homage 1894? The seller is asking 9,300 Euro but is willing to listen to an offer.

[​IMG]
    1994 LTD EDITION 18K WHITE GOLD OMEGA SPEEDMASTER APOLLO XI REF 148.0062
    Very rare, 18K Solid White Gold case, Omega Speedmaster celebrating the 30th Anniversary of the Apollo XI Mission to the Moon. Complete, Box, Certificate, Warranty Card. Equipped with a newer Crocodile bracelet. Very small production limited to 500 units worldwide. A stunning Timepiece in addition to be extremely well presented in a Leather Book like case.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanx for your "time", Miki

2. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Jan 7, 2014

The clasp is very expensive to purchase if you can even find one. These came with the friction clasp and not the current white push button one. I've sold 2 of these before full sets and they command roughly 10k range but missing the clasp is a big deal IMO.

3. richardew Jan 7, 2014

The set is missing a book, an Apollo XI patch, and the Velcro strap. The watch is missing the 18k white gold deployant, which Omega will sell you for $2700 the last time I checked with them. The price of gold however has dropped considerably since then and so may have the deployant's price. I like mine although it doesn't get that much wrist time anymore.
    9.3.11 _479.jpg

4. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 7, 2014

IMO for the money (8-10k) there are a lot of other interesting speedmasters - new, recent and vintage that are a lot more interesting.

5. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Jan 7, 2014

There are a lot of other ones but a Chronometer Speedy Pro that would have to be the cal 864 and only so many were made while there are tons and tons of the same 861, 1861, 321 in comparison.

6. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 7, 2014

For starters:
    Excellent condition 105.002
    Near mint 105.003
    Mint 105.012
    Mint 145.012
    NOS transitional 861 speedmaster

All of which would be harder to locate than this watch.

But that's just me - I am sure there are a lot of collectors who would prefer to have this one in their collection (or on their wrist) instead.

7. ulackfocus Jan 7, 2014

My list would be a LOT longer than yours. :p

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 7, 2014

On bracelet I'd be really keen on this piece, but not on strap

9. richardew Jan 7, 2014

I'm not sure I understand your rules of collecting. None of the watches you mention, nor the Apollo XI are available new from an AD. If you set out to have a collection, for instance the one you mention above, plus the Apollo XI, you'd have to buy one of these first, one will end up being the last (easier said than done). I'd rather have a CK-2998 and the 105.002. I think the Apollo XI with it's ultra rare c864 is a worthy collectable. I believe that there are only 750 watches that have that movement. It's cool! It's rare! I only found one 2013 sale. Quite surprising considering how "easy" it is to locate one. LOL It was for 9473 euros. Just about all of the sales I turned up were for around 8800 euros. Considering the watch you are looking at is missing some key components, I think 9300 is just too high. For that price I'd wait for a more complete set.

The Apollo XI certainly would fit in with the above collection. I agree with you choices, but would add a pre moon c861, CK-2998 and CK-2915. I've got some of the boxes checked. My Apollo XI was the second I acquired.
    12.30.12 _30speedys n coffee.jpg
    4.29.13_11105.jpg

MikiJ, Gavin and Varasc like this.
  10. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Jan 7, 2014

ugh u make me regret selling my mint 105.003 richard...

11. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 8, 2014

I was listing some speedmasters that I would prefer to acquire (at similar cost) rather than this WG piece. We all have our collecting preferences but I personally have no problem replicating pieces in my collection - in fact for certain vintage omega models I prefer I have over 5 examples of so I would rather have one of those watches I listed (as a 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc example) rather than this WG speedmaster.

I have a bias against "manufactured collectibles" such as this piece - I realize the limited numbers produced etc. but I favor vintage watches that have become uncommon or even rare through other means (low sales numbers, high attrition rate, high demand from collectors, difficult to find in great shape because they were used or polished etc.) rather than pieces like this. I fully realize others may feel differently - and that's what makes for a more interesting community of collectors. Also in my experience (with few exceptions) these type of pieces don't hold their value well - this WG speedmaster for instance costs less now than its brand new price while each and every one of the watches I listed cost significantly more than their retail prices (all prices corrected for inflation).

blackwatch likes this.
  12. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Jan 8, 2014

Thanx for all of your most informative responses. Although I understand the better "investment" value in some of your other choices, this would be my choice. Because I only own what I wear, IMHO this would be the most wearable, at least for me. Thank you for your "time" and comments, Miki